No Central AC Drip Pan

Old 08-11-02, 08:20 PM
chris247
Visiting Guest
No Central AC Drip Pan

I moved into a house with a central AC unit in the attic. My home inspector said that it does not have a condensate pan and condensate could overflow into the ceiling if the drainline gets clogged. Is there any way to buy a condensate pan with/switch and install it myself? If so, where can I buy one?

Thank you,
Chris

Old 08-12-02, 03:47 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Well, it's not if but when the drain gets clogged. You could go to a sheet metal fabricating shop and have one made. It sits under the unit in the attic. If your existing unit is hanging, then it shouldn't be hard to slip a pan underneath, but if your unit sits on the rafters, you'll have to lift it in order to get a pan underneath the unit. The switch is available at any HVAC parts supplier or perhaps an appliance parts store. You would cut one of the control wires going to the outdoor unit and wire the switch in series with the wire. [you'll probably find a sheathed cable going to the outdoor unit. cut one of the wires inside the cable, not the entire cable]

Old 08-12-02, 06:52 PM
chris247
Visiting Guest
Bigjohn,

How does one hoist a unit that sits on the rafters? Also, do you know of anybody that sells premade pans?

Thanks very much!

Regards,
Chris

Old 08-12-02, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
drain pan

a preformed pan would be available at a local hvac supply house in various sizes. determine what you need, and compare that to their inventory. the float switch is available there too. i recently replaced one on an upflow configuration in the attic, took 3 men, 2 to lift and one to slide the pan in and out. the pan will have a 2 inch lip, so if need be, be prepared to put treated lumber or brick/block under the unit to allow clearance. horizontal applications will need a pan under the evap coil only unless it is a heat pump air handler or 90% furnace. hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: