outside unit doesn't work

Old 08-12-02, 05:10 PM
Joe Saltzman
Visiting Guest
outside unit doesn't work

my outside unit does not run unless I depress a button on the piece that all the wires connect to. It is a Rheem, and quite old. The piece that I am referring to that has the button is the first thing the main wires connect to as they come into the unit. please help its hot in here! also is there any danger in jamming the button down so that it does work until I fix the problem?

Old 08-12-02, 06:51 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
no a/c

you either have a bad contactor, the part you describe, or no low voltage signal from the indoor unit. can you test for 24 volts at the contactor? if so, and you have it, replace the contactor. jump R any Y at the tstat, does the o/d unit come on? if so replace tstat, if not, look for a float switch in a pan if the unit is in the attic. this will be a styrofoam float that breaks a circuit when water is in the pan. if indoor unit is in the basement, see if it has a condensate pump connected to the drain. this too may have a safety that will keep the o/d unit locked out to prevent the pump from overflowing. also check the small control wire from the indoor unit to the outdoor unit to ensure there are no breaks.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT BYPASS THE CONTACTOR YOU COULD DO MAJOR DAMAGE TO YOUR SYSTEM

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: