Thanks Big John

Old 08-13-02, 04:37 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Thanks Big John

John, Thanks for all your help and advice about my A/C unit. Looks like i have to replace to whole condenser but as you know the industry has me. I know to replace it and charge it but can't because of the EPA thing. Tell me, is it hard to get EPA certified? I mean, i know it's probably not a piece of cake but was just wondering how hard it is and how to go about it. But anyway, thanks again, you advice was priceless......well worth it. Take care and have a great day. talk to you again.
Joe.

Old 08-13-02, 06:43 AM
lynn comstock
Visiting Guest
To set the record straight.

I like Bigjohn's contributions also.

It is not the industry but the enviromentalists that pusned for EPA controls on refrigerants.

The test is not hard and the study book is easy to get. A few hours and about $50 can get you licensed. You must also have an EPA approved recovery machine at the jobsite every time you attach the gauges. This and the other special tools can be $1000 and up. That makes it somewhat harder to save money DIY.

Old 08-13-02, 07:47 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Hi Joe:

You're welcome. I sometimes get ragged on for imparting too much information to DIY homeowners, but I do draw the line at handling refrigerants. However, if one is certified, I'll talk to you all day about the vapor-compression refrigeration cycle. Just look at the posts with my buddy brownbagg. The other side of the coin is that people are going to do what they feel is ok in the privacy of their own homes. After all, it is their [or the banks] equipment. I think that some homeowners are very competent while others should limit their troubleshooting to looking in the Yellow Pages or the Pennysaver ads. As for getting certified, like a lot of issues, it is controversial. There's no requirement to have industry experience and there seems to be two camps- one group thinks that certification should be limited to people with industry experience while the other group thinks that the law is ok like it is. At any rate, while certification isn't a walk in the park, it's not too awful hard if you know the refrigeration cycle. A lot of the questions are about dates the laws into effect, recovery levels and stuff like that while others are specific about the refrigeration cycle as well as using a P-T chart. The test is split up into a Core set of questions and then 3 types of certification depending on what type equipment you're dealing with. There is also Universal certification which encompasses all 3 types. You have to pass the Core section and at least one of the types. For residential a/c you need Type 2. At www.rses.org/ you can find information on training and test sites.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: