Payne - Air Conditioner in Buzzing

Old 08-14-02, 09:20 AM
MotoGuzzi
Visiting Guest
Question Payne - Air Conditioner in Buzzing

My home has central heat/air with a a ground/floor mounted Payne Air Conditioner outside. I'm not sure if it because I just recently started using it again as summer is here, but it has now taken to buzzing/humming and I don't recall hearing this last summer.
With the thermostat set to off, the unit buzzes non-stop. Naturally, the noise of the unit is loud enough when running to make it impossible to tell if this buzzing stops once the A/C starts. Should I be concerned - is this an early indicator to a problem with the compressor or another part of the sytsem?
It works as it always has and I have seen no other indicators that would point to a problem but, as I know these can be pricey to fix, thought I should check.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Old 08-14-02, 03:10 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
I'm not sure if you mean the buzzing is coming from the outdoor or indoor unit. The only component that's active when the cooling and the fan are shut off at the t-stat is the control transformer. See if you can take off the covers and track down the noise.

Old 08-14-02, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
buzing

may be caused by coil on reversing valve if this is a heat pump. believe it or not, tapping it will often shut it up, and no repair is necessary. it may be a sign of the coil going out, but not always.

Old 08-15-02, 07:44 AM
MotoGuzzi
Visiting Guest
Will-do

It is a cooling unit. I'll pop the cover off this weekend and try to track it down.

Thank you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: