Swimming pool heat pump repair

Old 08-14-02, 10:52 AM
JessT
Visiting Guest
Swimming pool heat pump repair

I have a 15 month old AeroTemp (AT-8500) /AquaCal pool heat pump that isn't heating. A few weeks ago, the digital display showed "HP", indicating a possible problem with the High pressure switch or not enough flow (according to the manual). The unit would not shut off like it should when the pool circulation stopped. When I opened the electrical box on the unit, I discovered a blown relay on the PCB (don't know exactly when it blew). I've replaced the relay. Now when I turn on the power, the fan starts, the compressor kicks-in, and it is in heating mode for about 15 seconds before it cuts out. No diagnostic codes show up. Also, I seem to get a false reading on the actual water temp (61'F when I'd expect ~75'F), and the "no flow" shut-off is now working.
Does anyone have experience with these units or ideas of what might be going on here? Thanks.

Old 08-18-02, 11:33 AM
lynn comstock
Visiting Guest
The failed relay may be related to the problem you see know.

A new board or a service tech may help. I really don't know the specific equipment design and control system that you are seeing. I can tell you that the problem you first see may be secondary to the real problem, which you may not be able to see.

An example is a failed compressor. Most compressor failures are the result of another condition outside of the compressor that abuses the compressor until it dies.

Old 08-18-02, 12:07 PM
ahasbeen
Visiting Guest
Am not familar with your air to water heat pump, but it sounds like there is a problem with water flow....either with the volumne or with a fouled/scaled coil. If there's an inlet strainer, check it out. Apparantely you're going off on high head control for lack of water flow. Hope this helps, if you haven't already found the cause.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: