Replacing an heating system

Old 08-19-02, 05:21 PM
yuzi
Visiting Guest
Replacing an heating system

My house has two heating systems, one furnace and an centralized heater. I would like to replace the centralized sytem because it has not been working, and it's too old to be repaired. I've heard about central air system. Is that something that I can install in place of the old heater?

Old 08-19-02, 05:23 PM
yuzi
Visiting Guest
would you also explain how the central air system work? and the cost? Thanks

Old 08-20-02, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
yuzi,

you need to be more specific as to what your current system consists of. in my experience, a centralized heater sounds like a floor furnace. does this system consist of a large grate centrally located with a gravity flow of heat? if so, this alone will not be sufficient to replace with a central unit. you must have seperate return and supply ducts. let us know what you have.

Old 08-21-02, 11:16 AM
yuzi
Visiting Guest
It is a centralized system with ducts above the ceiling. I will not be able to add more ducts, because the roof is very flat, thus leaving little space between the roof and the ceiling to do any work. Does it mean that the existing ducts can only serve as supply and not the return ducts? or we can combine the use the ducts for both? A PG&E guy inspected the heater, his comment was "weak thermo". What does it mean? (I wasn't home for the service.)

Is the central air system same as the heat pump? that will supply heat in the winter and A/C in the summer? I live in San Francisco bay area. How efficient is the heat pump? I also understand that there are ground, air and water heat pumps? what shall i choose? does the ground heat pump require a lot of excavation around the house? and costly? I love to have both heat and A/C, but if too costly and not as efficient, then i'll just replace the heater instead.

Thanks again.

Old 08-21-02, 11:30 AM
yuzi
Visiting Guest
The existing unit is inside maybe an 2'x3' wall-high, enclosed with door area at one end of the hallway.

Old 08-21-02, 05:00 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
I'm also having a little trouble getting a picture in my minds eye about what you have. The efficiency of all the equipment available today is quite good. Sometimes people think good efficiency means they can use a smaller size system which isn't accurate. I doubt that you would be able to use the existing ductwork for cooling. What might work in your house are units called ductless mini splits. You can check them out at www.mrslim.com/ Ductless mini split units are not cheap however. Now, a "weak thermo" probably means a weak thermocouple which is not an expensive part. Maybe your existing heater is repairable so long as the heat exchanger is ok.

Old 08-22-02, 10:58 AM
yuzi
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I am looking at the Mr slim ductless systems.

The unit I have now is manufactured by Pacific Gas Heating Co. Model:NH-80-A, 80,000BTU/h, gas unit, ANS-Z 21.47 Central furnace. It was installed and serviced by Atlas Heating and Ventilating Co.

That's about all I can get by the labels on the unit.

This unit serves about 1500SF, however, the house is about 2100SF. Mr. Slim's largest is around 30,000BTU/h...I am still looking. Thanks for the advices.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: