noisy central air

Old 08-21-02, 07:08 AM
sally2
Visiting Guest
noisy central air

The building in "our backyard" has 2 central air units that make an unbearable amount of noise day/night. It has been bothering 5 of the units in my building for two summers, and the owner (he rents it out) finally visited yesterday to see (hear) what the fuss is about. The unit is at least 14 years old. He claims that central air has NOT become any quieter with more recent models, and that "any air conditioning guy will tell you that." I was wondering if this can be true. If not, does anyone know of a particular quiet model? I am doing research on the web but of course even if they advertise "quiet" it's hard to know.

We live in a city where the houses are of course close to one another: are there any rules about air conditioning noise levels in communities? I've never heard one this loud...

Thank you!!! Any advice welcome!

Old 08-21-02, 09:22 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
The manufacturers have gone to great lengths to make newer outdoor units quieter. Many communities do have noise level laws and what you can do is have the local building official come out and take readings with a decibel meter. I've been involved in jobs before where we've had to move units because of excessive noise.

Old 08-21-02, 10:32 AM
sally2
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much--we will act on this advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: