Raising Galvanized Radiator Pipes

Old 08-21-02, 03:31 PM
strickenm
Visiting Guest
Question Raising Galvanized Radiator Pipes

I am in the process of creating a basement bathroom and would like to install a corner shower. However, the circa 1924 2" galvanized radiator pipes hang 6 inches lower than the rafters and need to be raised. All the joints are threaded which prevents me from cutting the pipes and soldering new fittings (I think). I was hoping to use elbows or couplings to raise the current height and maybe replace the galvanized pipe with PVC. Is this possible? If so, what type of connection do I use between the old galvanized and the new PVC? I previously used rubber couplings to connect galvanized sewer pipes to PVC, but was told that this type of rubber cannot handle the high water temperatures that go through radiator pipes. Is this true? Am I asking too many questions?

Thank you!

Old 08-21-02, 04:45 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
No, you're not asking too many questions. You can't use PVC or the rubber couplings. You also may not be able to reposition the pipes without upsetting the flow of your heating system if your system is STEAM. You see, steam heating systems in those days used very low pressures like 1/4 lb. of pressure to 1 lb. of pressure. Operation is very dependent on the size and pitch of the piping. Today we consider a 15 lb. steam system to be a low pressure system, but the designers in those days were scared to death of 3 lb. At www.heatinghelp.com you'l find a man named Dan Holohan who has made a lifetime study of old timey steam systems. He's also written several books which are quite interesting. He refrers to the steam system designers of yesteryear as the dead men. Now, if you have a hot water system, then you could probably raise the pipes and use copper, but you want to be sure to use a dielectric union at each point where you change from steel to copper or vice versa. You might try posting at the heating help website and see what they think. They're the experts on hot water and steam systems.

Old 08-22-02, 07:10 AM
strickenm
Visiting Guest
Thank you!

Thank you for your helpful suggestions! Our system is a hot water one, so I'll hold out hope that copper piping will do the trick, but I'll post on heatinghelp.com to be sure.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: