so many choices, so much money

Old 08-23-02, 04:49 PM
pippin
Visiting Guest
Unhappy so many choices, so much money

First of all, this is a great place...
I live in humid, hot central florida and have a 25 year old home with the original GE central air systems (x2) ...SEER = -3??? hehe
Anyway, one unit is shot, the other is soon to follow. Got a quote yesterday for $8500 for 2 new American Standard systems, with variable blowers, and new ductwork. 12 SEER (he said the varible air handler makes them = 1 SEER extra to 13 SEER total)
1) I know it's Chevy vs. Ford, but what manufacturer gives the most bang for the buck?
2) Is there a website I can get the prices on these items, so I don't get blown away with a markup?
3) He also said the Amer. Standards recip. is better than a copeland scroll, and that he couldn't promise which type I'd get -- said the factory is changing over...yada yada
4) Are extended warr. worth it????
Thanks....

Old 08-23-02, 07:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Pricing

NOBODY is going to let you know how little HVAC contractors actually pay for the equiptment just like nobody knows what is actually paid for anything else unless you work in the industry.

You think car dealrs are REALLY letting people have cars $100.00 over invoice ?? yeah right.
The salesman makes more than that !!!

Best thing you can do is talk to a few contractors and find one that will do an excellent job for a fair (notice I didn't say cheap) price.

Make sure they do a manual J on the house or you won't see the SEER you are paying for.
Loose 1 SEER for ever 1/2 ton you are oversized !!!
All SEER ratings are based on equiptment being sized correctly which means running at 100% on the hottest days of summer

A good contractor will be able to do this for you.

Brand is irrelavent, it's the quality of install that really matters !!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: