Out of Control Radiator

Old 08-24-02, 06:38 PM
slippy
Visiting Guest
Out of Control Radiator

Hey there,

Here's the short story: I would like to shut off the radiator of just one room in my house and just for this winter (I am a renter). The valve handle on this radiator will not prevent water flow, and the bedroom quickly becomes extrememly overheated. Since I do not want to worry about replacing the valve handle and am cool with just piling on the blankets, I was wondering about other options.

Here's the rest of the info: My house has two levels. The upper level is always cold, whereas the lower level is always very hot during the winter. The radiators are thus of the forced hot water variety I think. I only want to shut off one radiator on the lower level in one of the bedrooms. Is there a way to do this by maybe a) manually closing some other valve to prevent water flow or b) installing an orifice plate (maybe without the orifice) at the valve handle to divert water flow? Are there other options I have not thought of? Unfortunately, I don't think just removing the radiator and capping the pipes is an option because I am a renter. If any of these options seem viable, how would I go about making the adjustments? I am new to this whole thing.

I know this sounds crazy since most people need more heat. The rest of the radiators on the lower level will provide any heat I need, though. Thanks so much for all of the help.

Old 08-25-02, 05:23 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello slippy. Welcome to our Heating and Cooling forum and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

I would not suggest a permanate blockage of the water flow through the radiator by totally blocking off all water flow. Installing the orifice, into the handle flow valve, if none is currently there, would be the safest and best method to prevent internal radiator rust, corrosion and other types of damage.

In order to best accomplish this task, it may be wise to remove the flow valve for the effected radiator, visit the local heating parts store and seek their professional advice.

Several other resident heating and cooling professionals on this type of heating system, replying within this forum, could have additional helpful information, suggestions, advice. Check back on your question several times for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultants & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technicians.

Old 08-25-02, 09:22 AM
slippy
Visiting Guest
Re: out of control radiator

Thanks for your advice Tom. I was wondering how effective the orifice plate would be and also why it would be a bad idea to block all water flow to the radiator. If you are worried about me living without heat, I spent last winter without any radiator in my bedroom and it was fine. Is there another reason? If not, what I would really like to do is to block the flow entirely. That's why I was asking if there are valves other than the valve handles that can be closed. How do people stop water flow when they want to disconnect their radiators to repair them? Thanks, though. I will probably start with your suggestion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: