Heil Thermostat

Old 08-24-02, 08:03 PM
smj5169
Visiting Guest
Heil Thermostat

Yes I just had a new Heat pump put in the model of it is a Heil. The old model taken out was a Carrier. My questiom is on th old Carrier you set you thermostat down to 72 and when the temp. get's up the heat pump will turn on and cool house down to 72 degrees and then cut off. With the new Heil thermostat if you set the thermostat to 72 it get's it down to 66 to 68 degrees. I called and talked to contactor and he said that is just the difference in companies making thermostat's and that is how Heil's are made. He said if I wanted temp in house to be around 72 turn thermostat to about 76 and when the temp in house get's to 76 it will come on and cool down to 72 then cut off. Does this sound correct could someone please try to explain this to me. We have only had unit in about 3 days and I don't think it will be a problem just something different to get used to but just like to know if this is correct and maybe why?? Thanks Steve

Old 08-25-02, 04:41 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Sounds like baloney to me. What kind of thermostat is it- digital programmable or the conventional mercury bulb type?

Old 08-25-02, 05:26 AM
smj5169
Visiting Guest
It is a mercury type thermostat. That is what I am beginning to think because I set it on 77 and it goes down to 72 one time then 70 the next. Thanks Steve

Old 08-25-02, 06:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Level ??

Make sure it's level, that is the #1 reason for being inaccurate.
I personally would go digital, they are MUCH more accurate

Old 08-25-02, 12:36 PM
smj5169
Visiting Guest
Should all mercury thermostats cut off at the temp you set them????

Old 08-25-02, 03:46 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Think about it this way. Thermostat company ABC makes a thermostat that operates where you set it but thermostat company XYZ makes theirs' so that you have to use a setpoint that's a liitle distant from the temperature you want? That's like saying in a Ford the gas pedal is up by the driver but in a Chevy the gas pedal is behind the front seat. Listen to our man 54, make sure the t-stat is level.

Old 08-25-02, 05:47 PM
smj5169
Visiting Guest
Ok I checked Level and it is ok and I called contractor and told him that I didn't understand what he was saying about thermostat and told him if it was set on 78 it would go to 72 one time and to 70 the next he told me to give it a couple day's to calibrate itself and if it was still doing that he would come out and put a new one in. He told me that it might have got messed up setting in his work truck. So I will see if it keeps on doing it and if it does call him back. But from what everyone is telling me I need to tell him a want a new one no matter what. Thanks for everyone's help and anymore input would be great. Steve

Old 08-25-02, 07:46 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Jeez- what's with this guy? That thermostat is going to calibrate itself just like your your cars' engine is going to tune itself up. They come calibrated from the factory. What does he mean "messed up from sitting in his work truck"? It should have been a brand new t-stat, not something that's been clanging around in his truck for 3 months. Tell him to get off his lazy backside and replace it.

Old 08-26-02, 05:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink Cooling anticipator

Sounds to me like something is wrong with the cooling anticipator in the thermostat.
See there is a little fixed resistor in the thermostat that heats up when the sysem is not running, then cools when the system is on.
I have seen this affect the thermostats accuracy.
BUT since there is no way to adjust/calibrate it. thermostat will need replacing.
IF the new one does the same thing go digital and be done with it

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: