New Baby!!! NO AIR!!!! HELP!!!

Old 08-25-02, 06:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Baby!!! NO AIR!!!! HELP!!!

ok...i have a new 4 month old...i need some assistance...

my 12 year old trane died last night...

the fan works, the thermostat is still kicking the fan on...so i know the problem isn't there...when it comes on, it doesn't sound like it normally does...it is just the sound of the fan...

we had a storm last night...if lightning hit it, would the fan not work as well???

any help would be nice...

thanks...michael

Old 08-25-02, 06:40 AM
Check breaker/fuses

CHeck the breakers/fuses on the outdoor unit.
A strike could have popped them.

BTW what ever did ppl do before air conditioning existed ??
I'm sure they had babies back then

Old 08-25-02, 08:12 AM
breakers are all on!!!

ok...i checked all breakers...i don't see one that is tripped...i do notice the air that is coming out of the unit outside is cold air, not warm as it usually is...does this indicate anything???

also, i appreciate your "what people do before air conditioning"...i know that is a good thought, however, i live in the south where temps get into the high 90s and the humidity stays around 90%...it feels like 100 degrees most of the time...there is no wind to help us out...it literally takes your breathe away...so what part of the country do you live in???

Old 08-25-02, 08:43 AM
sounds like

compressor is not running. could be several things. first, turn power off to o/d unit and remove panel to access controls. locate the contactor, a part into which the high voltage terminals terminate. does it appear burnt or have ants in it? now turn the power on and tstat off, using an insulated screwdriver press on the plastic part that will depress the points. if you are not sure where it is, have someone turn the tstat on, and you will see it pull in. it is possible there is a cover over it, but removing the two tiny screws will access the points. if pushing in on this plastic starts the compressor, replace the contactor. you may also have a burt wire, check the wires at every point, including at the compressor itself. you will have to remove the top and fan assy ta get there. on the side of the compressor is a small black box, remove the cover, and there are the compressor terminals. if wires are burnt, replace ther spade on the wire. you may also have a bad capacitor. if you have an analog meter, check across the C and HERM points. the needle should rise then fall. if it does not swap leads and check again. you must swap leads every time you check it. if it does not move, it is open, if it moves and stays, it is shorted. rise then fall, good. it is also possible the compresor has gone bad. can you check amp draw to see if is trying to start? it may have an open winding. to check this, use an ohm meter from one terminal on the compressor to another. there are 3, so check between all of rhem. if needle does not move, the circuit inside the compressor is open, possibly bad, but possibly just the internal overload. is the compressor hot? if so, cool it off with a water hose, and see if it will start. DO ALL OF THIS WORK WITH THE DISCONNECT OFF! good luck, let us know how you do

Old 08-25-02, 08:55 AM
forgot to mention

when ohming out cap and compressor, remove wire first, a backfeed can cause false readings.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: