ac leaking water near furnace

Old 08-25-02, 01:23 PM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
ac leaking water near furnace

ok just today when I went into my basement there is some water leaking from the duct work attach to the furnance. I checked the filter and its clean. I checked the little device that takes condenstation and pumps it to the outside and its clean. What can it be?

Old 08-25-02, 03:29 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
It sounds like maybe you're saying that the duct is sweating? Is this the supply or return duct and are they bare metal or insulated?

Old 08-25-02, 05:35 PM
C
actually the duct work is fine. the majority of the water is comming from the top of the furance. also the condensation drain is their. the drain seems to be working.. dripping water.

Old 08-25-02, 07:54 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
OK- then it sounds like the water is leaking from the cooling coil/drain pan area. There are several posts within the past month or two that address this issue. Search them and you'll find some good ideas of what to look for. I'm not trying to put you off, but there's no sense in retyping what's just a few clicks away. Let us know how you make out.

Old 08-25-02, 08:00 PM
C
thanks for the help.. unfortunately I do not see an easy way ( removable panel ) to access the coil. It seems like I have to unscrew the entire duct work. What should I look for?

Old 08-25-02, 08:12 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
There are several items to check:

1. drain pan could be full of gunk
2. drain pan could be rusted thru
3. cooling coil could be dirty to the point where the water is running off the coil fins instead of into the drain pan
4. the cooling coil could be icing up, either partially or fully
5. the drain pipe could be partially obstructed
6. you could be missing a trap in the drain pipe

Search the posts for lengthy discussions on how to check these out.

Old 08-25-02, 08:24 PM
C
the cooling coil is inside the duct that the air blows out right.. well there is no door to access the cooling coil.. is there any other way to get to it?

Old 08-25-02, 09:07 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
You may need to call a service company out. They'll have to take the ducting apart and then put in back together after the leak problem is fixed.

Old 08-26-02, 01:31 PM
C
problem was clogged drain line. wheeee

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: