moving furnace

Old 08-26-02, 01:20 PM
markrumsey
Visiting Guest
moving furnace

I am doing major renovation and want to move my gas furnace and water heat, both are 7 years old. I understand that I will have to re-do the ducts and the re-turns as well as run anew gas line and stack. My question is how complicated of a project is this?, it seems like fairly simple principles to me but my wife thinks I am crazy. It is an up-draft furnace that the prior owners installed upside-down as a down-draft and ran the ducts thought the crawl space. I want to centralize the location, install it upright and have the ducts feed from the ceiling of the 1st floor and the floors of the 3nd floor.

Old 08-26-02, 02:26 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Lots of issues involved. The stack has to sized properly using vent tables. In some areas, only licensed gas fitters are allowed to do gas lines. the ductwork will have to be redesigned.

Old 08-26-02, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Huh???

It is an up-draft furnace that the prior owners installed upside-down as a down-draft and ran the ducts thought the crawl space. I want to centralize the location, install it upright

What brand of furnace is this? Model Number?? If this an 80% or less effecenty, (Natural Daft) you can NOT turn this around.. Unless it's a newer style that is 90% that can be set up as a down-flow, up-flow, or horitzonal-flow, then you have to make sure everything is changed around to run as an up-flow furnaces. instead of a down-flow.

Old 08-26-02, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
furnace moving

are you using the same furnace? if so it must be a multipositional unit. BE SURE THIS IS THE CASE BEFORE INSTALLING. be sure to maintain 1/4 inch per foot rise on the flue, i would use doublewall pipe, may be code in your area. gas line needs to be hard pipe, not flexible copper or connector, flue schedules are included in your owners/install manual. i do not recommend you do it yourself, many factors involved, carbon monoxide, gas leaks, and you did not mention a/c, which would involve recovery and recharging. epa certification is necessary for this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: