Frozen Pipe in Summer

Old 08-28-02, 08:48 AM
BATorvik
Visiting Guest
Frozen Pipe in Summer

My outdoor unit is working but the pipe coming out of it is freezing to the point it of failure. I used a water hose to clean the unit out and the freezing pipe is returning. Is it the compressor that is bad? It a Ruud about 15 years old.

Old 08-28-02, 08:58 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
The freezing pipe is caused by something amiss with the indoor coil and/or indoor airflow. I assume your filters are clea?? Most likely culprit is a dirty cooling coil. A 15 year old system is probably pretty dirty.

Old 08-28-02, 11:36 AM
BATorvik
Visiting Guest
Thanks!

Yes, the filters are clean and the cooling coils as well... I checked the indoor coils and the under tray was full of water. The drain pipe was clogged with a rust looking material. I cleared the drain block and cleaned out the tray. Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Old 08-31-02, 04:51 PM
lynn comstock
Visiting Guest
Bigjohn's short list is right 95% of the time.

I can definitely say that the PRESSURES AND TEMPERATURES in the cooling coil are too low for some reason. He listed the 2 most common causes. There are many others.

The AIRFLOW may be low. The ducts may be undersized or have a bottleneck in their design. The indoor fan speed may be too low. Supply grilles may be closed in some rooms to save money by cooling only a part of the house. A "better" filter for cleaner air is usually at least twice as restrictive to airflow.

Recheck the indoor coil. The coil surface may be clean where the air comes out of the coil and dirty on the inlet side. Both surfaces can be clean and the fin spaces can be blocked by embedded dirt. (Shine a 60 Watt light through the coil and inspect from the other side with a mirror).

Add to that the possibility that the trunk ductwork may have been crushed by a careless workman. Sheet metal ductwork may have insulation glued inside that has fallen down to block the airflow. Debris from construction may be concealed inside of your ductwork to restrict the airflow. A blower wheel may have been installed backwards in the housing when it was apart for repair or cleaning. The indoor coil may be mismatched with the outdoor coil. (In some areas this may be done for good reasons...to maximize the dehumidification capacity of your system.)

It is also possible for the airflow to be OK and that the system may be low on refrigerant because of a refrigerant leak. The system refrigerant can be OK but the orifice, liquid line drier or capillary tubes may be restricted so that the indoor coil is not being fully filled with evaporating refrigerant. That will drop the pressures in the low side low enough to initiate icing that finally blocks the entire coil with frost and produce the freezing suction line symptom that you see.

OR the freezing suction line may be caused by some combination of any of the above possibilities or some rare posibility that I have yet to see.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: