AC keeps tripping circuit breaker

Old 08-30-02, 04:56 PM
kennemj
Visiting Guest
AC keeps tripping circuit breaker

I have a Trane Super efficiency Weathertron Heatpump. If I leave the thermostat at a certain setting say 78 degrees, it will cause the circuit breaker outside to trip. This will happen quite often. Also, the air handler inside will continue to run. If I turn the AC on manually with the temp setting and then off manually, it doesn't trip the breaker. And it seems I can do this indefinitely, but it is annoying. Also, I have had a technician add an extra start capacitor to the compressor for the reason mentioned above. On two separate ocassions, the relays on the unit outside were clogged with ants to the point where it wouldn't turn on.

What do you think might be causing this?

Thanks

Joe

Old 08-30-02, 07:33 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Did the A/C man check to be sure the stat wasn't short cycling the A/C? <i.e.> rapidly starting and stoping it

Old 08-31-02, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
breaker tripping

could be one of several things. the tech apparently thought it was pulling high amps on start up, and added a start assist, known as hard or soft start kit. determine the cycling rate of the outdoor unit. does it go off, then come almost right back on when controlled by the thermostat? if it does within 5 minutes or so i would say (purely an opinion as i do not know age, tonnage wire size or breaker size) the tstat may have it short cycling. check the filter and blower wheel as well as the evap coil for dirt/air restriction if you can, but i would look at the breaker if short cycling is not the cause. the ants in the contactor are probably unrelated to the problem unless there is a voltage drop across the points of the contactor, thereby increasing amperage, especially at start up. i have seen this before.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: