Ron St. Amand
Visiting Guest
Unhappy A/c

I am Wondering if you need to evacuate a home A/C unit
same as you would an automobile unit prior to charging the system with R-22

Old 09-02-02, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
yes

the system must be evacuated before charging. this will reduce/eliminate moisture by lowering the pressure (vacuum) to the point whre water will evaporate at ambient temperature. the pump removes the vapor, and helps reduce/prevent acid forming in the refrigerant, thereby prolonging the life of your compressor. there are many techs who "purge" and do not evacuate. this is effective in reducing the amount of noncondensibles in the system, but does nothing for moisture.

Old 09-02-02, 08:41 AM
Ron St. Amand
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your input,I appreciate it!
Regards, Ron

Old 09-02-02, 09:52 AM
lynn comstock
Visiting Guest
Opportunity?

Quote: "there are many techs who "purge" and do not evacuate. this is effective in reducing the amount of noncondensibles in the system, but does nothing for moisture."

I am sure that is true, but what can they purge with other than refrigerant to reduce non-condensables? Homeowners, if you get it on video tape, the EPA will give you a fat reward. Also if anyone uses refrigeration gauges without an EPA license and a qualified evacuation pump AT THE JOBSITE, he is violating the law.

Old 09-02-02, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
it is those guys

that give us problems in this industry, as well as a bad image. if my guys do this they would be immediately terminated. follow those new construction start up guys around, i bet less than half have vacuum pumps. this i know to be true in the atlanta area in my experience. like i said, vacuum the system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: