Filter cage

Old 09-03-02, 07:26 AM
Filter cage

Hi,

We have an older furnace (I think its a Lennox) and it has a cage like thing around the motor that holds fiberglass sheeting for the filter. I don't think it catches ANY dust!! Is it difficult to retro the ductwork to accomodate a better filter situation? Is this in any way a DIY?

Or does it make sense to wait until the furnace dies (it is running well!)

Any advice? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Grace

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-02, 09:40 AM
lynn comstock
Visiting Guest
Take a close look at the air path to the blower.

The Lennox filter needs to completely fill the air pathway to the blower. If it doesn't, air and dirt will go around it. If all of the air passes through the filter it will work fine. It is a generously sized filter and a better concept than most brands in that respect.

Old 09-03-02, 10:22 AM
Thanks Lynn - I'll check that out.

Old 09-04-02, 04:01 AM
ServiceGrunt
Visiting Guest
Those filters work great when installed properly, but they are a royal pain in the a$$ to change. If you ductwork is set up to where you could slide a filter box between the furnace and your return ductwork, that would be MUCH better. Another not so professional way of doing it is to cut a slot in your return ductwork to accept a regular filter. Get a filter that is a little bigger so it sticks out a little so you can remove easily. Seen a lot of them rigged up this way. Better than crawling around on the floor trying to get that lennox filter material back in your furnace!!

Old 09-04-02, 04:57 PM
Yeah - I am not a big fan of changing it!!

Thanks for your advice!!!