AC Compressor won't kick on

Old 09-04-02, 08:40 AM
Crazed Ferret
Visiting Guest
Angry AC Compressor won't kick on

We have a York central air unit with a programmable thermostat. We shut down the system a few days ago because the weather had cooled. The system had run perfectly well all through this blistering hot summer.

Today is a little sticky so I tried to flip on the AC. The fan comes on. The yellow system light comes on. The thermostat accepts all manual and programmable commands. BUT the compressor will not start up.

We did have a power failure two days ago -- some moron hit a power pole with his car -- but the system was off when the power failed.

The batteries in the thermostat test good. The circuits are all okay. The thermostat =seems= to be working, but no compressor. Is there a way to get the compressor started without using the thermostat? Or is there something I can check on the compressor to see where the problem lies?

Sweatin' in Pennsylvania ....

Old 09-04-02, 02:22 PM
Crazed Ferret
Visiting Guest
Smile An Answer!

It was the low voltage thermostat wire. It snakes under the deck to reach the compressor and there were a couple of breaks in the line.

I also found out where the trouble codes are located on my system. One listing is inside the side panel of the compressor. Another listing is on the back of the blower unit carefully placed so that unless you look like Olive Oyl you will never be able to squeeze back there to have a look.

No longer sweating in Pennsylvania ....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: