stinky gas floor heater

Old 09-06-02, 12:28 PM
Mr.Bulb
Visiting Guest
stinky gas floor heater

we have an old gas floor heater that we are planning on replacing in a few weeks-however it has started to give off an awful odor that smells like something decaying. i imagine it is a dead rat as the house came with rats in the basement. in my climate, we are still a good 2 months from cold weather so i would like to remove the decaying thing or the unit altogether ASAP-how does one go about doing this, including turning off the pilot light, etc?

thanks,
joe

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-02, 08:16 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Mr.Bulb

First task would be turning off the gas to the entire heater. There will be or should be a shut off valve {shut off valve is either a shut off valve inline on the pipe or a shut off valve at the end of the gas supply line on the pipe} with a flex or aluminum attaching supply line to the heater. Shut off that valve.

Once the main supply line to the unit is off, disconnect the heater in prep for removal. Depending upon what you mean by removal, totally or just the parts leaving the casing, you can now safely accomplish the task.

Either method of removal, it is always the safest to cap the gas supply pipe line. This means removal of any existing type of shutoff valve and installing a cap on the steel or iron gas supply line. Doing so is the safest method and meets all codes anywhere.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultants & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technicians.