A/C Problems - Ice Everywhere

Old 09-09-02, 04:45 PM
tmguyer
Visiting Guest
Exclamation A/C Problems - Ice Everywhere

When I turn the A/C off for a while then turn it on, I have cold air coming in throught he vents fine. After a couple of hours, the air from the vents warms and when I check the basement, there's ice everywhere. I've researched various internet self-help sites and I suspect the coil must be cleaned. Okay......what's an A/C "COIL" and what does it look like? I would like to try to fix it myself just in case it turns out to be a minor problem....if not....then it's off to the phone and writing a painfully large check to an HVAC repairman. Help please...it was 98 degrees out today and no let-up in site.

Old 09-09-02, 05:38 PM
Bill Locke
Visiting Guest
Ice

Your post was mine a few months ago. I was 2# low on freon, that was it. I did the coil checking, vents open, outside condenser cleaning, no help. The freon did it, and you have to have the HVAC guy do that. Good luck

Old 09-09-02, 06:24 PM
tmguyer
Visiting Guest
Thanks for taking the time to offer help. I'll check that out as well. I just get the nervous shivers whenever I need to have a professional opinion about the repairs on something that is often considered a "man's area". Had I known I would have to become proficient in home and auto repairs, I might have delayed the divorce until I had completed the appropriate course work. Sigh.......

Old 09-11-02, 03:12 PM
Bill Locke
Visiting Guest
Nervous Shivers

Now you don't have to get nervous, just get online to this forum. I have never seen a group of people so qualified, also so willing to help. You will soon recognize the the names of the moderators and the experienced contributors who will keep you on the right path if you fix it yourself, or if you have to get a local pro to do it for you. If you think you are getting a song and dance from local help, you can even send THEM here to qualify the source of your information. Its great! (And YOU can be a big help to others, especially if you let us know what and how you fixed your problem!

Old 09-11-02, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re: Nervous Shivers

Originally posted by Bill Locke
Now you don't have to get nervous, just get online to this forum. I have never seen a group of people so qualified, also so willing to help. You will soon recognize the the names of the moderators and the experienced contributors who will keep you on the right path if you fix it yourself, or if you have to get a local pro to do it for you. If you think you are getting a song and dance from local help, you can even send THEM here to qualify the source of your information. Its great! (And YOU can be a big help to others, especially if you let us know what and how you fixed your problem!
This is for both of you guy's,just for kicks.If you would just once in a while as you go by the out door compressor and it is runing reach down and just feel that big line that goes into it.As long as it's cold and wet and the air off the unit is warm too hot .you got it made and it's working just fine. ED

Old 09-11-02, 06:52 PM
ronbts
Visiting Guest
the first thing you want to check is that the air filter is clean this may be obvious but is often overlooked. If the filter is real dirty it can cause the unit to freeze up particularly when the unit runs for a long period of time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: