attic fans, can they work like this?

Old 09-12-02, 09:21 PM
thekid
Visiting Guest
attic fans, can they work like this?

i've got an attic i would like to keep cooler...

i have soffet vents and vents on the roof, and a vent at each end on the gable...but no fans...

and its freaking hot!!!!

so...
i was thinking instead of cutting any holes any any roofs to add a couple fans to each gable vent one blowing fresh air in, the other blowing hot air out...

i work with computers and this is how i keep my computers cool, would this work well for keeping my attic cool or am i better off arranging the fans differently or adding a whirly fan to my roof?

thanks for the help...

all info is appreciated

thekid...

Old 09-12-02, 09:35 PM
telco tech
Visiting Guest
I installed an attic fan earlier this summer, it mounted inside, exhuasting though the gable vent. It has a thermostat mounted to a roof joist a few feet away. It seems to keep the attic temp down quite a bit, maybe 20 degrees cooler, the thing about adding a fan to intake air, the thermostat for that fan will shut the fan off as soon as it is satisfied, and since it is only a few feet away from the fan, the outdoor air blowing on it will shut it off pretty quick, (unless you moved the thermostat several feet away). Also I have heard the cheaper fans from Home Depot and the like only last a few years in Texas attics, well I'll see, I paid about 50 bucks, and if it lasts 3-5 years, I'll be happy.

Old 09-12-02, 09:42 PM
thekid
Visiting Guest
what if both fans were connected to the same thermostat, the exhaust on perferebly...

i planned on connecting them to the same temp sensor so they would turn on and off together and they would only run at the same time, not just one at a time...

thank that would work?

ben...

Old 09-13-02, 08:59 AM
telco tech
Visiting Guest
2 fans, 1 thermostat, I don't see why it won't work, except I don't think the thermostats that come with the cheap fans are rated for the load of 2 fan motors, (there pretty cheasy). You don't want to risk a fire in the attic.
Also, if you go with a Home Depot type fan, do yourself a favor and run it before you install it. Mine was so out of balance it would shake the mounting and transmit vibration through the entire house. The pictures on the fireplace mantle would rattle. Very annoying. I would have taken it back, but it was already installed, so I had to add weight to blades, while in the hot attic...

Old 09-13-02, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by thekid
what if both fans were connected to the same thermostat, the exhaust on perferebly...

i planned on connecting them to the same temp sensor so they would turn on and off together and they would only run at the same time, not just one at a time...

thank that would work?

ben...
I'd put a fan on both end's the same size.
there is a t-stat you can get that will turn on both for you.It works with high voltage.This way you will be pulling the air up from your soffet vents and roof vent's. We feel that a fan in the attic that vents the attic is worth about a ton of AC. I have found out on my own home, when they tell you get a tile roof its cooler.HA HA,all it does is change the time the fan run's.Like when i had a shingle roof the fan came on about 11 in the am and ran to about 11 pm. Then with a tile roof the fan didnt come on till 12 or 1 pm and then it would run till 2 or 3 am ED

Old 09-14-02, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool If you MUST use an attic fan

I normally think passive venting such as wind trubine is more cost effective.
Attic fans using PSC motors genrate 1/2 the internal heat that the standard shaded pole motors do.
The PSC motors are easily identified by the capacitor mounted to the side of the motor (it could be mounted anywhere in theory)
Alos these motors last MUCH longer than the cheapo shaded pole type, notice when you go down the isle with the attic fans striaght across from the fans is a stack of shaded pole motors for sale at $27.00 each, but not a PSC motor to be found ...
The shaded pole motors are about the saem as you see in the $10.00 20" box fans you buy at Walmart.
You WILL be replacing the motor, it's just a matter of when.
The PSC stand up to the attic heat MUCH better, I have yet to see a dead one.
Yes you will save a few $$$ now by purchasing the cheapo fan but it will cost you in the long run.

All this being said it has been proven in most cases attic fans use more electricity than they save.
Do a google search if you don't belive me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: