air conditioner condenser

Old 09-13-02, 08:58 AM
chron714
Visiting Guest
air conditioner condenser

My outside unit isn't coming on. I remember once before when this happened; that the fins had to be washed out due to dust and dirt in the back yard. But I can't remember if something had to be reset or what. This is a 4 ton RUUD central unit. The main fuse for the outside unit is not blown. Is there some kind of overload the be reset.

Thanks,
Reggie

Old 09-13-02, 03:40 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Hi,

Since this sounded like a central air style a/c....I moved it to the heating and cooling forum

jeff.

Old 09-14-02, 05:37 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Take off the cover for the control panel and look for the contactor. [big relay looking thing] Does it pull in when you set the thermostat for cooling? Is it full of ants or do the contacts look like they are burnt? See any burnt wires or terminals? Check the power coming in, it should be around 240 volts. Let us know how you make out.

Old 09-14-02, 09:32 AM
Jacque Schidt
Visiting Guest
where the two refrigerant pipes enter the outdoor unit, is there a small red protrusion? It may be under a corner of the control box.

If so, press in hard and then try it again.

Not all, but many, Rheem/Ruud products have a high pressure reset in this general location. If your condenser coil was dirty or the fan stopped, this switch would have tripped.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: