Gas Furnace

Old 09-18-02, 12:44 PM
fireweedfour
Visiting Guest
Gas Furnace

My 20 year old furnace is starting to give me a little grief. I've noticed that it is a little too cool in the mornings now. I checked the thermosat and it tells me that the furnace should be on. I checked the furnace and have found that the pilot light is out. I have tried to light the pilot but no joy.

I'm not absolutely certain that I have my lighter in the correct place to light the pilot. I have followed the smaller copper line from the gas controller but I can't get it to light. Any suggestions, besides buying a new furnace?

Rob

Old 09-18-02, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
before buying

get a tech out, you probably have a clogged orifice or bad valve. be sure the gas supply is on to the unit. 20 yrs is a good life for a furnace, but if it is in good condition, repair may be the way to go.

Old 09-19-02, 06:18 AM
fireweedfour
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the response! I was able to get the pilot light lit but it wouldn't stay that way. I'd rather trouble shoot this to the end before calling the tech...

Rob

Old 09-19-02, 07:10 AM
Pegleg Smith
Visiting Guest
There have been some huge explosions this year caused by natural gas building up in homes.
A qualified service person will be able to troubleshoot the furnace and repair it in a short time. You want to post questions and have them answered and spend maybe weeks trying to get that furnace repaired and no one here can verify if it is operating correctly.
Your safety and that of your family should be the driving reason to find a good service company and have the repair done right.

Old 09-19-02, 10:41 AM
Jacque Schidt
Visiting Guest
Is this one fo those pilots where you have to hold down the button while lighting?

And, after you get it to light, is the flame strong while the button is held down, but goes out when the button is released?

If you answered yes to these questions, the problem is your thermocouple, which is easily replaced for little cost. Heck, it might even be worth replacing it just to see if it solves the problem.

Old 09-20-02, 11:11 AM
Jersey Devil
Visiting Guest
Sounds like a thermocouple. There about $14.00 at HD. Make sure you shut the gas off leading to the furnace, then follow the instructions for lighting your pilot.

Old 09-28-02, 08:33 PM
fireweedfour
Visiting Guest
Well you were all correct!! I ended up calling a tech and it was the thermocouple. Unfortunately (?) the tech found cracks in the heat exchanger. They were small but...

I have had to replace the furnace with a new Carrier. It is supposed to be a 80% efficiant furnace. I sure hope so. Here in Alberta Canada it cost me $2100. It had better last 25 years!!!!

Thanks for all of your input.

Rob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: