compressor replacement

Old 09-18-02, 03:27 PM
ingrjc1
Visiting Guest
compressor replacement

My upstairs AC unit is having problems and I suspect that this time it may be the compressor. The compressor runs, but seems to be laboring, just by the sound. It is not cooling. It also failed to come on a couple times. It had a hard start kit put on ealier in the summer when it would not start during very hot days and short cycles. It is AC only and not a heat pump. I am not sure of the size, but I have dual zone AC for a 2500 sqft house. If it turns out to be the compressor:

What brand is a good replacement?
How much for part and labor?
The unit is 6 years old. Should I consider replacing the entire outside unit?
Price for that?

Thanks.

Old 09-18-02, 06:05 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
There's more to this than meets the eye. Compressors don't just fail. They're built quite well and usually a poor design/installation or system malfunctions shorten compressor life. I realize that I haven't answered your questions. I just want to give you a heads up that whichever route you take, the person doing the work needs to analyze the big picture and try to determine why you only got 6 years out of the compressor.

Old 09-18-02, 06:19 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bigjohn is right

learned yerars ago the if a compressor/condenser is changed without finding out why it failed, the new one is doomed to fail as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: