Ticking ceiling fans

Old 09-18-02, 03:52 PM
TinkerB
Visiting Guest
Question Ticking ceiling fans

I just had 2 Hunter ceiling fans installed in August. They ran silently at first but now both have ticking noises when I run them at the highest setting. They're perfectly quiet when running on low or medium. I've never had ceiling fans before so don't know what's considered normal. These fans also have light fixtures in case that makes a difference. Is there anything a klutzy female with limited do-it-yourself abilities can check?

Old 09-19-02, 10:37 AM
Jacque Schidt
Visiting Guest
Turn the fan on such that the clicking noise can be heard. Back away from the fan and look at the chains which turn on the light and adjust the fan speed. Are these chains clicking against the motor housing? If they are, you can wrap a rubber band aroudn the chain and roll it into position to act as a bumper.

Few fans are totally still when running. Most of them will wobble at least slightly. The ticking noise is most likely the chains hitting the metal housing.

You might also clean the blades throughly, as dust buildup can throw the fan out of balance as well.

Old 09-19-02, 03:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
Sometimes the screws holding the globes/light fixtures will loosen up and the glass will tick with a little fan wobble. Be careful snugging them up, tho, so as not to brake the glass.

Old 09-21-02, 02:25 AM
U owe me
Visiting Guest
Did the guys that installed them look to be from the Middle East?

Old 09-23-02, 06:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Balance kit

A fan balacing kit will solve the problem in most cases.
One should have come with the fan, if not get one for $5.00
You can't get them perfect on all speeds but you can get real close.
Hunter BTW is about the best fan you can get IMHO

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: