Defective Window AC Unit

Old 09-19-02, 07:50 AM
BeniBoose
Visiting Guest
Defective Window AC Unit

I just got an AC unit (window type) which is defective (found it in the garbage). When I tested it, I noticed the unit tries to start and then quits. It tries again every 30 seconds or so. The compressor seems to be turned automatically off by a safety switch.

I read somewhere else this is a common problem that is often fatal because the cost of repair is not worth it. I would be curious to know what's exactly wrong? Is it a quick repair with a lot of expensive parts or mostly just a lot of time from a qualified technician which turns out to be too expensive? If the problem is the parts, then I'll put it back in the garbage but if it's just a time problem, I don't mind giving it a shot and spend 20 hrs to fix it myself. Can we fix the problem just by replacing the compressor?

Any help on this would be appreciated!

BeniBoose

Old 09-19-02, 10:23 AM
Jacque Schidt
Visiting Guest
It might be something as simple as a bad capacitor, or a need for a start kit. It might be something as bad as a dead compressor. Without the tools needed to diagnose this, you are just guessing. Replacing the compressor will easily cost more than a new window unit, since the refrigerant circuit may not be opened by anyone who is not refrigerant certified (meaning a technician) and the compressor (part only) will cost you as much as the window unit is worth.

But, if you want to try adding a TorqueBoost kit, or replacing the capacitor, you might get lucky and have a decent working unit. On the other hand, you might buy and install those parts and still have a dead compressor.

Do you have a digital multimeter and know how to use it? How about an amp probe?

Old 09-19-02, 11:16 AM
BeniBoose
Visiting Guest
Smile

> Do you have a digital multimeter and know how to use it?
> How about an amp probe?

Yes, I have a digital multimeter and I know how to use it. I don't have the Amp probe though but I can get one easily if I need one. I also have quite a lot of tools since I'm doing all my car maintenance and repairs myself.

The AC unit seem a bit old too. I don't know if it will ring a bell to you but amazingly the brand name is: Chrysler. Yes, the car manufacturer with the star logo. It's a pretty big unit too, somewhere around 28' wide, 16" high by 20" deep and that's why I want to try out everything possible to make it work. If this thing works, gheez, I'll have more cool air than I need!

Feel free to give me the directions I should take to troubleshoot the problem. In the meantime, thanks a lot for your help, I appreciate it.

BeniBoose

Old 09-19-02, 01:19 PM
Pegleg Smith
Visiting Guest
First move the unit onto a sturdy, flat surface. Remove all the screws that hold the covers in place. Remove covers. Note whether you can access the compressor and the electrical componets.
Second. Plug the unit in. Note whether it is a 115volt or 220 volt unit. This makes a big difference how it operates. Push the cool button or turn the selector to cool. Set the thermostat to the coldest setting.
Does it run? If yes then put it back together.
If no then proceed to next phase
Does the fan run? If no then get a fan motor and install it befor e doing the next phase. All these parts should be readily available from Home Depot or Sears.

three. Pick up unit and shake it vigorously. Put it down on bench. Try to start again. This sounds strange but it has worked at times, When you push the button to start the unit have a hammer, preferrably a dead blow hammer, and hit the compressor when it tries to start. This might jar it loose. If it does you are golden, but if not them use the next procedure.

four, you will need to check the silver thingys that look like oval cans. set your electrical test meter on the highest ohm scale. You could conceivably do this with a 12volt checker also but it is better to have the meter. With the power on, put both leads on the capaciter terminals. The meter should quickly go up and then slowly bleed off. now reverse the leads and do it again. If you get the same results, that capaciter should be OK. If not replace it before moving to the next phase.

Pull the wires off the compressor terminals. Use the meter to check continuity between all the terminals. This is important because these terminals are all wired together but have different Ohm readings. Got continuity? Good. Put the wires back on. No continuity? Now is the time to go out and buy a boat cause this thing will make a great boat anchor.

Old 09-19-02, 03:13 PM
U owe me
Visiting Guest
Most of the time, things in the garbage are in fact garbage.

Old 09-19-02, 04:49 PM
BeniBoose
Visiting Guest
I wouldn't be too sure about that. Even though objects put in the garbage are often good only for that purpose, I would say that many people have no clue whatsoever on how it could be easy to repair broken appliances. It reminds me this 8 years old fridge keeping my beer cold downstairs... Got it in the garbage and I just replaced a 25$ part to get it running like new. Some people are sometimes just fed up of certain things and are just too happy to go shopping to replace it with the latest products fully loaded with gadgets... while there's still something that can be done to fix it. I like to take advantage of this situation if they're dumb enough to throw it away...

Old 09-19-02, 07:44 PM
Jacque Schidt
Visiting Guest
I got an over the range microwave from the dumpster once at an apartment complex. It looked like brand new, but tripped the internal breaker when you pressed "Start."

I bought an $18 touchpad for it, and it worked great for years. It was still over the range when I sodl that house.

I have more stuff I got for free than you can shake a stick at, including 4 computers. 15gig hard drive, AMD K6, 550 Mghz processor, lots of goodies, and all for free!

I suspect the compressor is lock rotor in your window unit. Check the amp draw while it is trying to start. (the hammer trick works good too) If it draws lock rotor amps, and the capacitor tests OK using Pegleg's method, add a Torque multiplier kit.

Old 09-19-02, 07:50 PM
U owe me
Visiting Guest
Yea, I found a thermonuclear warhead targeting device in the garbage and after I found some guys to help me on the net, I found out all it needed was a wingnut. I have it on E-bay right now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: