ac stoped working last night

Old 09-19-02, 09:58 AM
diyhowner
Visiting Guest
ac stoped working last night

i hope someone can help me out here. not sure what brand this is but late last night my girlfriend wake me up saying she hered a really loud noise. this morning the air stoped blowing cold. i opened the cover to thing outside it smelled really funny there is a round thing that looks melted. it has 2 wires going in it. the wires are burnt looking and metal is black to.
i dont no were to start?

please help

Old 09-19-02, 10:10 AM
Jacque Schidt
Visiting Guest
Well, your compressor is obviously dead.

Remove the refrigerant and call the EPA.

Seriously though, do you really think we can help you with information (or lack of information) like you have given?

How about this; call your doctor, tell him your head hurts and ask him what's wrong.

This "round thing," you found "looks melted," in your "thing outside;" is it shiny aluminum colored? Or black?

Do you have an electrical meter? Do you know how to use it?

Old 09-19-02, 10:50 AM
diyhowner
Visiting Guest
how rude

if you cant help then why try. anyway the coil thing outside is light brown has a piece of paper or plastic on top corner by cover that is falling apart. i guess that is the name of unit there but i cant read it.
as for a meter my neighbor said i could use his but he hasnt found it yet.
i did notice there is a hum noise in the box where wires are.
i have a christmas light tester so i no the power is off but will wait for friend to find meter. the blower fan is still runing in the house.
i do not no if removing refrigant is a good idea my friend got that stuff on his hand when he was puting in my car and he yelled really loud.

Old 09-19-02, 10:54 AM
Jersey Devil
Visiting Guest
It sounds like your run or start capacitor is bad. Make sure you shut the power off from the disconnect switch or the circuit breaker inside the house matked A/C. Don't get confused with the inside system circuit breaker for the air handler or furnace. I would call an HVAC company to repair the job. HVAC work is not like wallpaper or painting the house.

Old 09-19-02, 11:45 AM
diyhowner
Visiting Guest
turn off power inside nothing marked

my test light showed power so i looked around for some other power panal and found it. i guess it takes 2 fuses still had power on one wire but not other.
i opened up the top cover and this metal stuff just came right off it looks like fence wire. the fan wires look ok no burned marks there. looking at wires there are 3 going in the black metal can and one of the wires is burned looking were it connects.
the thing that burned near the buzzing thing is black and has 2 wires both look burned but think they went there they also go to a silver can looking thing.
my friend had to go to work so will need to wait till he gets back.

Old 09-19-02, 12:21 PM
telco tech
Visiting Guest
It sounds like you are trying to decribe the start capacitor for the fan or compressor. They can expode apart will they fail, making a loud noise, or they can just bulge and leak. A christmas light tester problaby isn't a good substitute for a voltmeter, and knowledge of how to use it. Not trying to dismiss you or anything, just I don't know your experience with high voltage equiptment. Some of the wires in there are at 220 volts, and if you only disconnect one side, there is still 110 volts to ground, so be careful. That said, if the capacitor is the culprit, there are many different values (sizes). Just replacing it with a look-a-like won't due. If you can't tell the make of the unit, or the value of the old part, and don't have experience working with electricity, you should consider calling a technician.

Old 09-19-02, 12:59 PM
Pegleg Smith
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Wait a minute

This repair is easy! Just borrow a recovery machine and pull all the freon out. Then use a pipe cutter to cut out the black can thingy. Then go to the nearest Home Depot and find one that is about the same physical size and buy it. Then just put it in with a propane torch and 50/50 solder. Put the freon back in and your there. No problem!

Old 09-19-02, 02:36 PM
Peter Groper
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Jersey Devil
It sounds like your run or start capacitor is bad. Make sure you shut the power off from the disconnect switch or the circuit breaker inside the house matked A/C. Don't get confused with the inside system circuit breaker for the air handler or furnace. I would call an HVAC company to repair the job. HVAC work is not like wallpaper or painting the house.
I have to disagree. I would say hanging wallpaper is more difficult to master.

Old 09-19-02, 03:14 PM
diyhowner
Visiting Guest
wall paper is hard to hang

my friend has helped me get the burned wire back on the compresor he seems to no what the parts are that i dont but am leraning. he wraped the copper wire around a metal post looking thing and tied with wire ties.
we are going to a apliance junk yard to see if they have this thing. it looks like a film cantainer but little bigger. seems to have a place for 3 wires but is not the silver can thing which i was told is a runing capactor. we are going to drink some beer soon so i should stop playing with this thing.

Old 09-19-02, 03:20 PM
U owe me
Visiting Guest
Stick the two wires IN the beer can and power it back up.

That is all that is in the capacitor.

Old 09-19-02, 07:56 PM
Jacque Schidt
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Jacque Schidt
Well, your compressor is obviously dead.

Remove the refrigerant and call the EPA.

Seriously though, do you really think we can help you with information (or lack of information) like you have given?

How about this; call your doctor, tell him your head hurts and ask him what's wrong.

This "round thing," you found "looks melted," in your "thing outside;" is it shiny aluminum colored? Or black?

Do you have an electrical meter? Do you know how to use it?
So, you think I'm rude? I think you're ignorant. You can't even convey the thoughts you have. You avoided my question about your ability to use the meter, and you have yet to post a single usable piece of information. I could have played you like these other guys have, but Telco tech said the same thing I said, only nicer. You have no business playing with high voltage, especially after a beer or twelve.

"It looks like fence wire." Would that be barbed wire, constantina wire, or chicken wire?

First you said the power was off. Then you said the power was still on and you had to find another panel. You owe your life to that chistmas light tester, don't you?

Old 09-19-02, 08:08 PM
diyhowner
Visiting Guest
gee you are swell JS

i think you read me wong . power was off on one wire not other but i unscewed other fuse and than power was off both wire.

as my mom use to say you have a burr up you butt?

Old 09-19-02, 08:38 PM
diyhowner
Visiting Guest
well here is what we did

my friend helped me ok he did it and i watched. took out the burned thing and burned wires. put fuses back in. the ac start to work so we may have cold air tonight and we did not have to call a place that charges 100 a hour. yipee

Old 09-19-02, 08:50 PM
Pegleg Smith
Visiting Guest
Its nice to have friends.

Old 09-20-02, 06:28 AM
diyhowner
Visiting Guest
it sure is nice to have friends

well the ac went out again. my friend is going to see if he can buy something called a superbost to put in place of that themitor thing that burnt up. i am lucky he has a friend that knows about this stuff. will let you all know how it goes later today.

Old 09-21-02, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
--------------------------------------------

Last edited by jonathanisaac; 08-03-06 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-22-02, 07:35 AM
diyhowner
Visiting Guest
think its fixed

we bought the part from a guy around corner from us. he had all kinds of stuff on his truck. we showed him the thing that burnt up he said it was a cheap way of helping compresor start. anyway we put on the capactor thing and it worked. kind of cool here now so not runing that much but seems to be working. he also sold us a wire to fix compresor wire that we fixed but are going to wait on that since it is woirking.

oh we didnt get shocked yet

Old 09-22-02, 11:29 PM
telco tech
Visiting Guest
Glad you got it working (I think, its working now right.?.).. 65 here in Dallas TX, my winders (windows) are open.
shocked, keyword= "yet"

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: