Old 09-22-02, 05:13 AM
harry dee
Visiting Guest
Angry Burner won't wake up !

The Oil Burner in my small forced air system will not start
up after a lazy summer!! It is new and was working
fine all last winter without a problem. I feel I should have
started her up every other week or so to keep the
system in shape,but the weather was too hot!!!
Is this a common problem? The Re-set
button on the motor just does the same thing as the
thermostat does. It goes on for a minute or so but
the blower does not come on,and then bada bing
it shuts off. Thanks for any tips

Old 09-22-02, 08:09 AM
Nominal
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Harry, There are only a few things I can tell you to check because of the dangers associated with oil. 1) Are you sure you have oil in the oil tank? 2) Do you have a way to check for water in the oil tank? If tank is below ground, there is a paste that can be wiped on a stick or rod and then insert rod into tank to the bottom. Hold there for a few seconds, remove and look at the paste. If it changes colors, then you have water in the tank. The big issue with oil is, we don't know if your oil pump has lost its prime. However, if it is pumping oil, and you have a transformer or electrode problem, then each time you reset the button, you will be pumping oil into the fire chamber for approx 90 seconds until it trips again. I don't recommend hitting reset button more than twice(2) before calling a service company. Oil chamber with a lot of oil is very dangerous. If furnance is new, then problem is probably simple. Dirty electrodes or pump not pumping oil. Also not sure if when you say burner motors runs? Do you know if it is firing? Can you see a flame? Does the flue pipe get hot? In some cases, the furnance will fire up, but you could have a dirty photocell or bad stack switch that is not sensing the flame and shutting unit down. Sorry about being long winded. In the end, I have to tell you, personnally I think to be safe, you should call a certified heating and air contractor.

Old 09-22-02, 08:10 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does the burner light off then go off,or does the pump just start running and no ignition?

Old 09-22-02, 04:45 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
I agree with Nominal, unless you know what you're doing, oil can be dangerous. You need to call a pro. Hey, Nominal. I used to live in Jax. I've serviced Publix from St. Augustine thru Jax to Live Oak. I also worked at Mayport. Are the Save & Pack stores still around Jax? I also used to service them. I still keep my Duval card current even though I left the area in the mid 80's.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: