Frozen A coils

Old 09-22-02, 04:58 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frozen A coils

First time in this fourm.
My question is this I had my wedding yesterday at my house here in Dallas TX,I noticed that no air was coming from the ducts.
The outside unit was working good I was unable to go in the attic till today and when I went up I Tried to pull my filter but saw it was frozen to the coils.I did see what looked like a very huge ice buildup on the A coils.I shut the unit down and just put the fan to the on pos instead of the auto pos.I left for about 4 hours with the fan sucking hot attic air over the ice chunk.
I retried the A/C and it is working with cold air blowing from the ducts again.
What could be wrong with my A/C? It is a heat pump if that helps.I am afraid it will frezze up again.
Thanks in advance

Old 09-22-02, 05:20 PM
Jacque Schidt
Visiting Guest
How dirty was that filter? The things that make a coil ice up are low airflow, or low refrigerant. Did you close a bunch of vents? Was some sort of decoration blocking the return? (maybe the bride's dress?) Was the filter drity?

If the answer to all this is no, then you may need to have the refrigerant checked.

Hey! Was it cool outdoors during the wedding?

Old 09-22-02, 05:31 PM
M
Filters were new

Yes the wedding went good except the cake fell and the A/C problem.I replaced the filters 2 weeks ago so I dont think that was it.I dont know if the returns were blocked but I am pretty sure they were not.We held it inside anyway since the outside temp yesterday only went into the low 80s.
I had both my units serviced and cleaned last year.I dont know why they put the air handler in the attic but I can tell you it is a real pain in the butt just to change filters.
On a nice hot summer day in TX the temps up there can get over 150 and I am in no mood to climb up there to replace them.
Do you think low freon will cause the coils to frezze over?

Old 09-23-02, 03:57 AM
Jacque Schidt
Visiting Guest
I know low refrigerant charge can make the coils freeze over. However, I would not consider that the primary focus based on one isolated incident.

You should probably have a trusted professional check your refrigerant every couple of years to make sure it is at an optimal level, and perhaps doing that now would give you a better sense of what happened, but more often than not, I find one of the other reasons caused the problem.

How old is this unit, and what brand?

Old 09-23-02, 06:34 AM
M
Unit is pretty old

The A/C is a 2 ton heat pump made 1n 1986 made by Rheem.I dont know if this has anything to do with it but I have it running 24/7 I have been putting off a new A/C for 3 years now but I can see it is time now to upgrade.My ducts in the attic are shot.
They are huge ducts and all the insulation has split from this TX heat exposing the inner plastic liner with sweats water and is destroying my drywall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: