central air busted-but no fuses!!

Old 09-25-02, 11:36 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
central air busted-but no fuses!!

Hello all. I bought a house a month ago. Heater and air both broken. I can turn on the fan, however, and it blows throughout the house, but the heat nor air come on.

I posted my prob here a while ago, and was told to check the fuses. This is a sears custom central air unit, short long rectangular box.

sounds like it might not be getting power? Once I turned the thermostat on cool, and heard a slight clicking sound from the central air unit, but that was it. I looked at the main breakers for the house, and they were ok, and I reset them. I do not see any fuses for the AC unit outside. Instead I see another breaker on the wall next to the ac unit. Is this normal, or am I missing the fuses. I tripped the other breaker...nothing.

The only other thing I see is a little box attatched right to the side of the central air unit with some cheap plastic lock on it. Someone told me it was an "edison box" You know, the box that allows the electric company to shut off your ac during peak hours. Is this correct, or are there fuses in there?

It was 100 degrees in the house the other night, I can't stand this and I am broke, thanks...Jeremy

Old 09-25-02, 02:11 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Hi Jeremy:

I remember seeing your first post but I don't remember the disposition. At any rate, it's ok to have a circuit breaker at the outdoor unit. It's more common to see fuses but your setup is ok. If the fan works, then you have power to the indoor section. Take the cover off of the control box on the outdoor section and look around. See any burnt wires? Look for a large relay. Does it pull in when the thermostat is set to call for cooling? Do the contact points look burnt or are they full of ants or similar critters? If you have a voltage tester, check the incoming power. It should be about 240 volts. Check these things and also tell us what kind of heat you have- gas. oil, electric?

Old 09-25-02, 04:01 PM
J
is the control box on the breaker, or inside the big ac box/unit. Is that large relay inside of the outside ac unit also?I will get a chance to check it out tomorrow after work.

Old 09-25-02, 04:04 PM
J
The heater is an old gas unit in a closet. i know the gas works because I can smell it come on when I crank the thermostat on. When I went through the house inspection, I could have sworn i heard the click click click sound of the ignitor, but since then have not heard it again.

Old 09-25-02, 04:26 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
The control box I'm referring to is on the a/c unit outside. the wires, relay, etc. will be in there.

Old 10-08-02, 06:02 AM
bigmac#2
Visiting Guest
Similar thing happened to me and it was the transformer. Costs about ten bucks and ten minutes to replace.

Old 10-08-02, 08:42 AM
J
Where is the transformer located? I found out this past weekend that I have no power going to the fuse/breaker box on the wall next to the A/C. I suspect the Main breaker? I will check that soon, unless someone else knows better.

Old 10-08-02, 06:51 PM
bigmac#2
Visiting Guest
I'm a layman for sure, so take anything I say with a grain of salt. But, if the fan will turn on then it's not the transformer. Probably a relay. However the transformer on my furnace is close to the door switch.

Old 10-09-02, 09:27 AM
J
I do know that there are 2 fans, the main one that circulates air around the house, and the one in the A/C box outside. The A/C box is what I am having probs to

Old 10-09-02, 09:55 AM
P
Jerry; there is a 2-wire 220 volt circuit from your service panel to a contactor inside the compressor assembly. When the contactor coil is energized thru a 24 volt control circuit it switches the 220 volt power to the compressor motor."In between" the 220 volt circuit-breaker at the service panel and the compressor contactor connection is an "Out-door" Dis-connect switch at the compressor which is used to open the 220 volt circuit at the compressor when needed,usualy for servicing the compressor. The Dis-connect could be a "Pull-Out"or a circuit-breaker,both in a rectangular metal enclosure, or a switch with an external operating handle. You will need to test for 220 volts across the terminals of the Dis-connect switch to be certain you have power to the compressor.---Good Luck!!!

Old 10-29-02, 07:42 PM
J
UPDATE:

I called the gas company to look at my disfunctional heater.

Said bad thermostat. I replaced the thermostat on the wall. Mission successful heater works.

When I try the A/C/cool function, the house fan comes on, and I walk out to the central air unit outside, and this time we are getting somewhere.

Instead of being completely dead, I can now hear a light humming sound coming directly from the big a/c unit, but no fan spinning action. Now that we know I am getting power to the unit, what next?? What could my humming be? bad fan?

Thanks again.

Old 10-30-02, 09:57 PM
marydawn
Visiting Guest
humming AC

Hi Jeremy,
DO NOT run your AC without the condensor fan running. You eather heve a bad fan or a bad capacitor. Have it checked out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: