Heating and Cooling

Old 09-25-02, 07:16 PM
denwholey
Visiting Guest
Heating and Cooling

My wife and I have a cabin on the lake with several window air conditioners that cool the cabin in the summer. It is a split level cabin with two downstairs bedrooms without air conditioners. Has anyone ducted a window air conditioning unit to cool two small bedrooms? If so, do you have any advice on doing this? I see no reason why this can't be done to cool the downstairs bedrooms so that we have air conditioning downstairs when we have company. The master bedroom is upstairs and has a window unit. In addition, we have a unit in the kitchen and a large window air conditioner in the family room. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 09-25-02, 08:21 PM
sbrickles
Visiting Guest
Window unit ducting

Window units are typically designed to only force enough air to the imediate area. The fan does not have enough power to push the velosity of air with the stactic pressure to travel through ductwork. So I believe that you would be wasting your time. The only way it would even come close to working is if you have a very over sized window unit. I wound recommend to install a package unit outside and run ducting from it to the area you want to cool. Be sure to use insulated supply and insulated return duct and proper sizing of duct is important.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: