Thermostat Odor

Old 09-26-02, 02:16 PM
sylee
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Thermostat Odor

Hello,

My wife and I recently noticed a pungent odor coming from our upstairs Honeywell thermostat. The house is approximately 60 years old, although it looks as if the thermostat's been updated in the past 10 years.

The odor doesn't resemble that of natural gas or burnt wiring, but more of something that's decaying. It also has subsided to only the hallway area where the thermostat is located.

I'm trying to reassure my wife that it's probably a dead rodent in the supporting wall that's causing the smell, but I'd really like to hear any other opinions.

Thanks for your help!

Old 09-26-02, 06:01 PM
ServiceGrunt
Visiting Guest
Stinky Stat

Well now, that`s a new one. There may be a dead critter in your walls and if you smell it in your thermostat, the hole behind the stat is to big and you need to plug it up. It can let air into your stat and give false readings making your furnace and/or a/c run longer. Pull of your thermostat and see if there is a big hole where the wires come thru. If so, plug it up with some insulation .

Old 09-26-02, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i agree

with servicegrunt. never heard of tstat doing this, problem probably coming from inside wall. spray some lysol in there before sealing it up.

Old 09-27-02, 09:03 AM
sylee
Visiting Guest
Smile Theromstat Odor

I had a feeling there weren't too many people who've encountered a stinking odor from their thermostats.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: