Booster for room air conditioner

Old 09-26-02, 07:41 PM
Mel Downs
Visiting Guest
Question Booster for room air conditioner

Hi,

I'm working with a 8,000 BTU room air conditioner powered from a gas powered generator. When the AC unit cyles it sometimes "pops" the breaker on the generator. When I talked to a local AC repair shop, he showed me what he called a "booster" that is used on some AC units. It's a black box about 1-1/2 inches square and has two electrical connections. I believe on connection goes to the large capacitor that is connected to the compressor and the other connects to the "hot" power line. I'm not 100% sure about those connection points. What is inside the "booster"? I think the breaker poping problem was my fault for cycling the AC unit without waiting five minutes for the head pressure to bleed off. I checked the amps pulled and measured about 7 amps during normal running and around 10 amps during startup. When I cycled the unit before waiting five minutes, I saw about 25 amps (I guess due to locked rotor start???). I'm very curious to know what the "booster" device is and what is does?

Thanks, Mel

Old 09-27-02, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re: Booster for room air conditioner

Originally posted by Mel Downs
Hi,

I'm working with a 8,000 BTU room air conditioner powered from a gas powered generator. When the AC unit cyles it sometimes "pops" the breaker on the generator. When I talked to a local AC repair shop, he showed me what he called a "booster" that is used on some AC units. It's a black box about 1-1/2 inches square and has two electrical connections. I believe on connection goes to the large capacitor that is connected to the compressor and the other connects to the "hot" power line. I'm not 100% sure about those connection points. What is inside the "booster"? I think the breaker poping problem was my fault for cycling the AC unit without waiting five minutes for the head pressure to bleed off. I checked the amps pulled and measured about 7 amps during normal running and around 10 amps during startup. When I cycled the unit before waiting five minutes, I saw about 25 amps (I guess due to locked rotor start???). I'm very curious to know what the "booster" device is and what is does?

Thanks, Mel
I think what you have is what we call a starter kit.We use them sometimes on a tight compressor or I have used them on a compressor that has a little short in its start winding. IT has a capacitor in it and also a potential relay this turns off the start winding after its up to run.There is a starting assist kit, but its not in a box that i know of .It just goes on to the run capacitor to give it additional starting power or torque.Yes it was your fault on the breaker I'd say, you have to wait for the head pressure to bleed down before you try again on any A/C ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: