Delayed Ignition

Old 09-27-02, 03:36 PM
yeldarb
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Lighting problem

I have a gas heating stove that I am having troubles with. It is made by Empire in Bellville, IL but I can not find a model number anywhere. It uses LP gas. It is vented.
Here is my problem...

I am lighting the stove to start using it this year. I got the thing cleaned out, the motor cleaned and oiled, etc. I lit the Pilot light, and it stays lit just fine. However, when I turn the thermostat up to turn it on, the gas starts flowing but it won't light. After 3 or 4 seconds I turn the thermostat back down so gas doesn't fill the room, And then the gas ignites and blows the pilot light out.

Is this a thermocoupler problem, the pilot assembly, or niether?

Old 09-27-02, 05:37 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Delayed Ignition

Hello yeldarb. Welcome to our Heating and Cooling forum and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Your question was moved to this forum since it pertains to a heating appliance and not a cooking sotve. In doing so, it affords you a better opportunity to obtain the professional help, suggestions and advice of more than one heating professional.

What your describing is commonly referred to as delayed ignition. The most likely problem is restricted ignition and burner ports. Ports are the holes or slots in the burners. Cleaning and clearing them should resolve this problem.

This is the first task to start with and also one of the easiest methods to correcting the problem, if it truely is the problem. No parts required...

The most important ports to clean are those closest to the pilot flame. There could be some lint and or white powdery substance restricting the ports.

An old used tooth brush or bottle brush as a cleaning device often works best to accomplish this task.

Be sure the pilot flame is all blue and HOT. No yellow in the flame anywhere and it's correctly positioned near the burner.

Several other resident heating and cooling professionals replying within this forum, could have additional helpful information, suggestions, advice.

Check back on your question several times for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultants & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technicians.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: