Fencing around air conditioner

Old 09-28-02, 04:15 PM
HLC
Visiting Guest
Fencing around air conditioner

I am doing my Eagle project for Boy Scouts and I am putting a fence around an air conditioning unit to hide it. The question that I have is:

How far does the fence need to be away from the unit and/or will it cause a problem?

Thank you for your time.
HLC

Old 09-28-02, 06:13 PM
Jacque Schidt
Visiting Guest
There are a lot of variables to consider, like how "solid" the fence is, but for the most part it is safe to say 18 inches minimum on each side. You can have a little less clearance on one side if you have substantially more on the others, but manufacturers typically recommend at least 1.5-2 feet.

Old 09-28-02, 08:30 PM
ServiceGrunt
Visiting Guest
Don`t forget about the poor service tech who has to come and work on your unit. Try to leave a door or a removeable section of the fence towards the units access panel. They may send you a service tech that is 6ft 9in and weighs in at 290lbs. to work on your unit on a 101degree day in the shade with only 12 inches of room to work. Not a pretty picture. The easier the access to your unit, the faster the repair, the less it costs you.

Old 09-29-02, 06:16 AM
rayr
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by ServiceGrunt
Don`t forget about the poor service tech who has to come and work on your unit. Try to leave a door or a removeable section of the fence towards the units access panel. They may send you a service tech that is 6ft 9in and weighs in at 290lbs. to work on your unit on a 101degree day in the shade with only 12 inches of room to work. Not a pretty picture. The easier the access to your unit, the faster the repair, the less it costs you.
LMAO. Been there, done that. The only thing worse are those closely planted shrubs with those 2" thorns on them. Bummer!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: