Heater

Old 09-30-02, 02:07 PM
Grizzle
Visiting Guest
Heater

I've got a century old house and at some point a floor heater was added. The heater is natural gas. It appears to have been retrofitted with a newer gas control valve that looks fairly new. It uses a pilot light and is controlled by a millivolt thermostat.

The problem is that the heater doesn't start up when the thermostat is triggered. I started by replacing the battery, and then the thermostat. I found that the heater will start if I short the wires together at the thermostat. So then I replaced the low voltage wire and cleaned the terminals on the control valve.

The heater started for about a week and then the old problem was back. I changed to a new thermostat again and still nothing.

I can't figure out why the heater will start if I short the wires together, but it won't when the thermostat is used. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-02, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
basic electrical principals

say that if you jump out the tstat, and unit runs, tstat is bad. are you using a millivolt tstat, and what is the heat anticipator set on, and what is the amp draw of the gas valve?

Old 09-30-02, 09:53 PM
Grizzle
Visiting Guest
Thermostat

I'm on my third thermostat in two weeks. It is a millivolt tstat. I don't know what a "heat anticipator" is and I don't know how to test the amp draw (although since it is an unpowered circuit, I'd say it ain't drawing much).