Space Heater Question

Old 10-01-02, 01:15 PM
nansee
Visiting Guest
Question propane space heater for enclosed studio

I have a sunroom studio on the back of our California home. I am using it as a studio and will need heat this winter. It never gets much below freezing so I don't need a lot of heat. As you have heard electicity rates out here are out-ragious . My question is how do I know which heater to get and will an unvented propane heater let off smells and poisons? I prefer not to use kerosene.

Thanks.....

Old 10-02-02, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
in georgia

the local home improvement stores carry hang on the wall gas heaters, unvented, considered safe, and never seen one smell. check www.grainger.com, or gas supplier.

Old 10-05-02, 06:22 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: nansee

In the state of California, all unvented gas heaters are illegal. None are sold through dealers, agents and or major retails.

Your choices would be what are commonly referred to as wall units. There are basically two types. Vertical or horizontal units.

Both types can be purchased to use either natural gas or propane. Both types are vented.

Horizontal wall mounted units vent directly through the wall behind the unit. These types are commonly referred to as direct vented wall mounted units.

The vertical wall mounted units require the flue gases to be vented to the roof. The flue vent is installed in the wall and vented through a ducting to the roof.

There are also vented heaters which are commonly referred to as free standing units. These units are not connected to or attached to a wall but they are vented. The vent pipe is attached to the unit and part of the flue pipe visable.

A visit to several of the retail chain store dealers and heating agents retail stores will provide you with all the makes and models to select from.

Professional installation is highly recommended but the installation can be a Do-It-Yourself project for the handy person.

If done as a do-it-yourseld project, it would be highly suggested & recommended to have the unit professionally inspected prior to it's first useage to insure personal and property safety.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or questions. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Alway's consider the warranties and future service needs for any major appliances your considering purchasing. Price isn't always the best guide for long term appliance investments.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultants & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technicians.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: