Noisy ductwork

Old 10-07-02, 05:56 AM
Ductworkproblem
Visiting Guest
Angry Noisy ductwork

Can someone please tell me how to fix noisy cold return ductwork? Everytime the furnace or air conditioner turns on or off our cold return ductwork bangs. Is there an easy fix for this problem? Please help!!

Old 10-07-02, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is it the bang/pop sound? Looking at the duct work you can see it suck in when the fan turns on?? If that is happing.. Check ALL of your return vents to make sure they are not blocking the air flow into the system. If all of the vents are clear. then you will more likely need to another return vent..

I don't know how your home is set up.. If you have a family room in the basement and don't have a return. add on there... If you are not able to add another return, you can put a smaller on right n the return drop at the furnace.

Had to do that to my parents furnace since they replaced a 25 y/o Williamson with a new Trane, and they put a vent into the return drop cuz the duct was getting "Sucked" in.

IF you are going to add a vent in the return vent, make sure you DO have a large room or an open door way.. Other wise the furnace room will be in a negative pressure and that will pull the exhuast from the water heater.. furnace... dryer.. into the home.

Old 10-07-02, 08:33 AM
Ductworkproblem
Visiting Guest
Thanks Jay11J! I will try your suggestion. You are correct that it is the suck in problem when the fan turns on. Then the duct pushes out when the fan turns off. Thanks again!

Old 10-07-02, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Let me know what you come up with later on.

Good luck!
Jay

Old 10-07-02, 10:49 AM
Jacque Schidt
Visiting Guest
When the duct sucks in and out like that, the static pressure is greater than the metal's strength. This indicates either excessive static pressure (need for larger or extra vent) or weak metal (has it always done it, or recently started?).

Did you change the type filter you use? Some filters inheriently cause high static. Is furniture covering any of the intake vents?

If you can access the inside of the duct where it is drumming, you can wedge a dowel (round stick will not impede airflow like a square one) into the space to prevent the noise, but it is indicative of a more serious problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: