Basement Cold Air Return

Old 10-07-02, 06:56 AM
brianbes
Visiting Guest
Basement Cold Air Return

I am doing my basement over and have electronically zoned the basement and need to put in a cold air return. I was thinking one 10" would be fine as I am in Atlanta. Cooling is not an issue as its very comfortable down there in the summer with nothing running. You need to use some heat so I was going to mount the register low on the wall as I believe thats the best place to put it to maximize the heating. My question is can I use the cavity between the studs for the cold air return. I have a closet that is adjacent to the room where the vent is going. What I was going to do was to put a block stud below the the register and one at the top above where I was going to put a starting collar and hook a 10" flex. I need to put it at the top as I need the space below. Is this ok? Going to cover the sheetrock with mastic

Old 10-07-02, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, it's ok to use the wall cavity to "duct" the air from the floor level to your pipe hook up.. As long both side is sheet rocked or panned on the other side..

We do that up here in Minnesota in the basements.. it helps pick up the cold air off of the floor.

How big of an area are you doing?? I'd say a 6" pipe will be big enough to use vs the 10" your planning on to use to pipe it from the wall to the main duct. use all metal pipe if you can! The flex just looks "Lazy" man work, and also it has a lot of bumps in it, it kinda cuts back on the air flow.

Old 10-07-02, 08:48 AM
brianbes
Visiting Guest
Bsmt Cold Air Return

Jay, gotta use flex no room for metal. Since its zoned with first floor one zone basement other I'm assuming it will pull air from the two returns upstairs also. They are 10" flex each. The two rooms in the basement are continuous one 19' by 12' and the other 15' by 16' which is cased with an 8' opening. Total length of both rooms 34" as they run the length of the back of the house and have full size windows as its a walkout, I can put register about the middle at 17' which would be 2' to the left of the thermostat. Should be pretty good air flow. Would one 8" flex be enough? Have had people say don't need any to some saying two 8" to some saying one 8" will do it. Other two rooms are a bathroom and small room which are to the left of the staircase from the 1st floor.

Old 10-07-02, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brian,

Yes, it will be pulling air from both zone when the system is running.

Yeah if you can't use all metal, then go ahead and use 8"... 8" should be big enough then.. 10" will be way too big and taking up space.

Good luck!
Jay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: