Old Stewart Warner

Old 10-07-02, 09:42 AM
Brendan A.
Visiting Guest
Old Stewart Warner

Recently I graduated from school and moved out. The apartment i have is heated by an old Stewart Warner furnace. The problem is, the furnace is all around shot, and my landlord wont replace it. Now theres plenty wrong with it. First of all, when it lights it makes a short, loud bang. Then after a few seconds the blower starts. The blower itself is noisy and rattles a lot. Its a belt and pulley system. Also, the cover for the blower compartment is missing. So its pulling in basement air and blowing it into my apartment. The building is a 2 story 4 unit. Both the first floor units have the old stewart warners. The second floor units both have newer lennox's. The problem was the humidifiers leaked into the furnace and rusted out the heat exchanger. I think that happened to mine too, which would explain the bang. Any suggestions and is this unit worth fixing? Thanks again!

Old 10-07-02, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brendan,

Are you paying for the gas to heat your place?? If yes, then I'd call your gas company and ask if they have a free inspection for your furnace.

They can then say if the system should be taken out of service... If they say it has to go out of service. make sure they contact your landloard!!

Also, I don't know how big the basement is with the furnaces, with the blower door cover missing, you maybe taking in fumes from the furnaces there!!!! You just may not wake up one morning.

Old 10-07-02, 10:52 AM
Brendan A.
Visiting Guest
Its a very large basement. The whole area is open. I thought about the whole carbon monoxide thing...kinda does scare me. And yes, I pay all my utilities except water. I will call the gas company first chance I get. I have to schedule them to come read my meter anyways...its also in the basement. The main thing that bugs me about it is im getting musty air in my apartment. Not to mention when some people in my building do laundry they smoke in the basement while theyre doing it..which also gets blown up here. So im not exactly getting the best air quality. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-07-02, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yuck! :-( Putting up the smoke and other smell ..... Maybe you can find a pice of metal to put in front of the blower opening, also I take it you have no air filter at all?? And do you have A/C on this system?? I am have a good feeling that the LL is cheap and don't have A/C... But if you happen to have A/C, you coil is going to get all plugged up.

Old 10-07-02, 11:34 AM
Brendan A.
Visiting Guest
Yes I use a filter..even though it really doesnt do anything. No I do not have central AC..window units. Ive tried blocking it but whatever i put up falls off. Its just a real pain.

Old 10-07-02, 03:22 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
You live in Chicago? Surely your city has a dept. that regulates landlords. Call them and complain about the dangerous conditions. That loud bang is delayed ignition which could cause an explosion. A failed heat exchanger will allow Carbon Monoxide to spew out thru the ducts.

Old 10-07-02, 03:31 PM
Brendan A.
Visiting Guest
Well yes..chicago has a department to complain. But i live in the suburbs. Ive spoken to my landlord and she said shes going to have it looked at. Hopefully i either get a new furnace or this one gets fixed..if possible. Beleive me, if I was the owner...the thing would be LONG gone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: