Forced Air Furnace Problem

Old 10-08-02, 05:33 AM
bigmac#2
Visiting Guest
Forced Air Gas Problem

Ok... last summer I accidentally cut wires on my outside unit and had to repair them. In the process I shorted out the transformer on the indoor unit. Replaced the transformer and everything was great. Now, the heat won't kick on. The blower works on both AC and heat, but the heater does not kick on automatically. I did some testing on the thermostat when I repaired the problem this summer. Do you think I shorted something out again? Already tried the door switch and it's ok. Oh yeah, the thermostat will automatically turn on the AC, but not the heat. Pilot light is lit.

Thanks Tom.

More info:

Lit by pilot light. Unsure how old unit is. AC unit (HQCO Lavergne, TN Model# CA1036QKA1 867.806360, Serial# L881810382) is outside the house. Indoor unit (HQCO Model# 867.761032, Serial# L884078092). Thermostat is a 9310 E7 2 White-Rodgers.

Last edited by bigmac#2; 10-08-02 at 06:40 AM.
Old 10-08-02, 06:15 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
More Detailed Information Requested

Hello: bigmac#2

Kindly provide more detailed information. In depth and detailed information helps to explain the situation a manner that allows the professionals to offer the best possible helpful suggestions and advice.

Also provide the units brand name, year, model, serial numbers, if available. Type of ignition system???? Pilot??? Electronic Spark??? Hot Surface Glow Bar??? Any and all detailed information would help greatly.

Any and all additional detailed information you can provide may help to expose a clue regarding the units current problem and help to determine the exact repair to the problem.

Outside unit??? Heating unit or the A/C unit outside???

Your assistance in this matter would be beneficial.

To add more information, please use the REPLY button.

Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem solving methods, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair proceedures and instructions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers.

Check among the RECENT postings and ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on your topic, specific appliances problem or conditions and read the replies offered.

Chances are the topic, condition and or problem has already been covered in complete detail.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultants & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technicians.

Old 10-08-02, 03:43 PM
bigmac#2
Visiting Guest
OK... problem fixed sort of. I failed to reattach the red wire onto the transformer when I tried to fix it the first time. Now, the furnace kicks on, but is not controlled by the thermostat. Thermostat will kick air conditioner on and off, but furnace will not kick on or off. I reattached the red wire and the furnace automatically kicks on and STAYS on. Any thoughts?

Old 10-09-02, 01:53 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Take the thermostat off the wall and see what color wire goes to the W terminal. That same color wire goes to the W terminal in the furnace.

Old 10-09-02, 04:19 AM
bigmac#2
Visiting Guest
Big John you're the man. I attached the red wire to the red wire. This by-passed the thermostat. Traced the wire like you said and all is well.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: