Intermittent AC Failure

Old 10-09-02, 03:25 PM
alexlee
Visiting Guest
Angry Intermittent AC Failure

My AC system will occasionally blow room temp air only. The condensor seems to be working, at least the fan's running. This happens after the system has been shutdown (t-stat turned off) for some time after it's been running. I've tried cycling the t-stat on and off as well as turning down the setpoint, nothing works. Then after a few days, the system would work again. The refrigerant indicator located next to the condensor shows the system is fully charged (green), similar to the working second unit. I haven't checked the unit for loose connections or cycle power to the condensor or anything else. Any suggestions?

Old 10-09-02, 07:12 PM
Jacque Schidt
Visiting Guest
The green indicator is for moisture. The green indicates there is no water in your system.

If you saw bubbles in the sight glass, that would indicate a running compressor, but the sight glass will look exactly the same when running fully charged and when the compressor is off.

But, the symptoms you are describing sound like the compressor is not starting every time it tries. You may need a hard start kit, or a new contactor. It is hard to be sure, but based on the description you have given, your compressor is not moving any heat, despite the outdoor fan running. I'd use an amp meter to check for compressor amp draw the next time it does that.

Old 10-10-02, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
---------------------------------------

Last edited by jonathanisaac; 08-03-06 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-11-02, 05:32 AM
alexlee
Visiting Guest
The lights do not dim when this happens. The system is working ok now so I'll check the contactor and hard start kit the next time this happens. I hope it's not the compressor since the system is less than 2 years old and I no longer have a warranty on it.

Thanks for the information! This forum is very helpful!

Old 10-11-02, 09:38 PM
---------------------------------------------------

Last edited by jonathanisaac; 08-03-06 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-12-02, 12:26 PM
If the outdoor fan is running the compressor should be running also as they are powered from the same contactor.

If you have a bad start capacitor then the compressor maybe cutting out on thermal overload (Internal or external protection device)

Turn off the power and remove the compressor start capacitor (careful it can still shock you if not shorted to ground to release the charge) and have it tested.

This real easy to do and a new one will cost about 20 bucks.

Old 10-13-02, 05:51 AM
Jacque Schidt
Visiting Guest
Many systems only run one leg of the fan power through the contactor, but both legs of the compressor. Trane is the first one that pops into my head, but you can walk up on one with the fan running but the cmopressor off and find a bad contactor.

Also, you can test that run cap, but even if it is good, that will not tell you if you need a start kit or not. It may or may not have a start cap from the factory, and most DIY homeowners would be hard pressed to tell which is which.

So, to recap: you may have a compressor going bad, a bad start capacitor, bad start relay, bad run capacitor, bad contactor, or some sort of wiring snafu.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: