placement of cold air returns

Old 10-10-02, 05:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
placement of cold air returns

I'm in a quandry, I hope you guys and gals can help with. I think I need to install another cold air return on my first floor. The room is approximately 18' by 20'. Two walls are outside walls, the north side is a staircase and the 4th wall is the bearing wall. I really don't want to cut into the sill plate of the outside walls, the staircase wall is built over a double joist and I don't think it would be a good idea to cut into the bottom plate of the bearing wall. The total square footage of the lower level is approximately 640 sq ft. I have one cold air return, centrally located between the open diningroom and livingroom. Is this one return sufficient? I want to thank you all for your wonderful information about heat ducts. I now have heat to all rooms and they work great!!

Girlbuilder

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-02, 09:57 PM
lynn comstock
Visiting Guest
Since nobody else answered,

One ducted return is enough if the inside doors are open to all of the ducted rooms. (The house itself allows air to move freely toward the single return.)

If inner doors are closed, air can return through undercut doors, grilles in the doors or through walls. If you keep these inner doors closed, you may want to add grilles in the door. (Size them at least twice as large as the supply grille(s) serving the closed room.)

Old 10-27-02, 10:18 AM
cold air return

Thanks Lynn,
You just saved me a lot of work, I appreciate it. Keep up the good work.

Old 10-27-02, 10:56 AM
Return air

If it works let it alone. Like Lynn said one works just fine if its big enought. There is a cold air grill that we use sometimes that you dont have to cut joist or plates. Called out of the wall. It will let you cut about 31/2" out of the floor and gets covered with this grill as it leans back to the wall and into the baseboard They come in 14" 24" & 36" long.On any job that we dont have cold air returns in all of the room we cut the doors off 2" from the top of the floor or rugs ED