Problem with zone valve?

Old 10-10-02, 08:41 PM
zonedout
Visiting Guest
Problem with zone valve?

My 2nd floor heating zone is not working properly. The thermostat opens the valve but does not tell the furnace to turn on (yes...even when cold). The other two zones are working properly. I checked the wiring from the zone valve in question and it appears to be fine. I followed the red wires from it to the pig-tail (all three zones pig-tail to one and then on to the relay/control box) and all the connections looked good.

Any other suggestions? I'm planning on using a voltmeter to check for a signal...I just didn't have time tonight. Also, If the zone valve is faulty (not sending a signal) can I just replace the actuator or do I need to remove the valve entirely (cook it out)? If I can replace just the actuator, do I need to drain the zone first?

Thanks.

Old 10-11-02, 05:02 AM
ServiceGrunt
Visiting Guest
Yes you can replace just the actuator. Are you sure the valve is opening all the way? Sqease the wire prongs together and lift off the actuator. Push in on the little tit on the valve body. Is it free. Sometimes they get seized up and you can free them up with WD40, so you don`t have to change the valve body also. With the boiler running & water hot, push in on the tit. Can you fell the hot water on both sides of the valve? Ifso, just change out your actuator.

Old 10-14-02, 06:47 PM
zonedout
Visiting Guest
Smile Needed new actuator

Thanks for your help. I had to swap out the actuator (Erie "Pop-Top"). Popped right off....re-wired it and presto...furnace came on. Good thing too....going to be 25F tonight here in VT!

Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: