Splitting An Air Duct

Old 10-14-02, 02:55 PM
nash
Visiting Guest
Splitting An Air Duct

Hello,
I recently closed off a new section of my house to create a new room. But there is no air-conditionning or hot air duct in that section.
If I look at the attic I see one that I can attach too to supply that room.
The ducts that I have look round and have insulation around them.
They are hanging from studs in the attic.
The question is how do you connect to one of them to split it between the two rooms?
If someone can point me to a document of any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nash

Old 10-14-02, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
new duct run

it would be better to tap into to the source (plenum/mixing box) at the supply end of the blower unit than rob from existing supply. if you do tap into a supply duct, use a "wye" or "tee" which are available from DIY homestore.

Old 10-15-02, 10:17 AM
nash
Visiting Guest
Re: new duct run

I checked the ducts under the insulation and it seems they are some type of flexible duct (almost feels like the air duct of a dryer).
How can you tap in to something like that?
Thanks,
Nash

Originally posted by hvac4u
it would be better to tap into to the source (plenum/mixing box) at the supply end of the blower unit than rob from existing supply. if you do tap into a supply duct, use a "wye" or "tee" which are available from DIY homestore.

Old 10-15-02, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
flexible duct

cannot tap into flex. option is to put a sheetmetal fitting in line (wye, tee). look into options at local DIY store. find where these ducts tie into, there is where the mixing/box plenum is. i would start from there

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: