Heating thermostat

Old 10-16-02, 06:03 AM
aplmac2
Visiting Guest
Heating thermostat

The heat thermostat in my 2 story home is located in the master bedroom - Is this the corrct location? In my other house it was located at the top of the stairs - I recently had central air installed and that thermostat was placed at the top of the stairs - would it be better to disconnect the bedroom thermostat and connect into the one located at the head of the stairs? (Both are heat/cool thermostats. Thanks.

Old 10-16-02, 06:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Leave it in master bedroom

I had this same exact delima, I tried both locations.
What happened in my case was the heat rising from downstairs would "fool" the upstairs thermostat into thinking it was warmer than it actually was upstairs.
Your results may vary, try putting a thermometer at the top of the stairs and decide which way YOU want it
Also while upstairs isn't the master bedroom where you spend the most time ??

Old 10-16-02, 07:29 AM
thermostat in the bedroom??

I've honestly never seen a thermostat in the bedroom in my life other than a zoning system....

We've been taught in school, and read in books that you put the thermostat about 5' off of the floor in the living space or hallway close to the living space... Your in the living area most of the time..

IF this is a single zone system, this the way I see it.... T-stat in the bedroom set at 75* for cooling... You have family and friends over on a 90* afternoon.. Bedroom is on the east side of the house.. More likey the bedroom will be cooler, and that means the A/C isn't going to run much to provide comfort in the living area where you and your company are at.

When the T-stat is in the living area, it's going to respond to warm living area..

Old 10-16-02, 08:13 AM
Question Zoning

It looks to me like the upstairs is a separate "zone" from the living room downstairs ??
It's hard to tell by the way the post is written.

Old 10-16-02, 02:17 PM
aplmac2
Visiting Guest
T-stat location

Sorry to have left out necessary info: Master bedroom is upstairs. Separate zones for up and down stairs. Thanks for your help so far.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: