Heating System PSI Problem

Old 10-21-02, 04:05 AM
opghost
Visiting Guest
PSI Problem?

My father, knowing absolutely nothing about our furnace system, went into our basement and fooled with valves, etc. Now we have a huge problem. Our hot water tank (we don't have a hot water heater, we have a tank and water heats in the furnace) keeps over flowing. At first we thought the problem was either our pressure relief valve or the thermostat. It almost seems as if the tank/thermostat thinks it's overheating and releases the pressure relief valve.

We just noticed that when this happens our PSI goes WAY up into the red. So, now we are wondering if it is just the water pressure causing this problem. If so, do we need to fix or replace the regulator? Or is there just a valve somewhere that we can adjust? Please help! We can't afford to pay the oil company $70/hour to have them come out and fix it.

We just bought our house a year ago. The furnace and hot water tank are very old. I'm guessing 50 to 70 years old. However, I know the people I bought the house from and they never had a problem with any of this before.

Thank you!

Old 10-21-02, 06:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gina

first, take your fathers tools and hide them. he probably adjusted the temp cutoff, and it is too high, causing this problem. regulator seems to be doing its job, check the thermostat. remember, replacing the wrong part (which probably only needs adjustment, not replacing) will cost more than a pro coming out for a tune/up, adjustment/assessment. get pop to pay for it, i do not tune up my wife's BMW, id don't know how it works!

------------------------------------------------------------
if you do not know how it works, you will fix it until it is broken

------------------------------------------------------------

Old 10-23-02, 03:33 AM
opghost
Visiting Guest
Thank you so much for your help!! I will definitely check the thermostat first! My nieces husband is going to come over tonight and give us a hand with it. I just found out that he does this for a living. And you're right about my fathers tools. Next time he comes for a visit, I'll tell him to leave his tools at home and I'll check his luggage before he comes in the door.

Gina

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: