chimney downdrafts to H20 heater

Old 10-21-02, 10:54 AM
chimney downdrafts to H20 heater

I get a cold draft coming down the basement via the water heater exhaust vent.
heater is vented up a brick chimney through first floor (chimeny is not two foors high).

When the heater kicks on, the exhaust gas is able to push the cold air up the chimney. Besides the possible Carbon Monoxide concern in super cold weather, I am not happy with the cold air coming down the basement and degrading the heaters performance and cooling the basement.

The chimney diameter was initially designed to handle the HVAC and water heater but now it is only used by the water heater.

what would be the ideal DIY creative solution to fix this sitution?
any ideas are appreciated. been putting off this job for a while because I have ton of other upgrading work ahead of me.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-02, 12:59 PM
flue

Do you have anything in the home like furnace , vent fan, fireplace. Something that wants the air and make it back draft on you????? ED

Old 10-21-02, 05:30 PM
kind of confusing

you say the flue was designed for both hvac and H2O htr, but now is only used for H2O htr. then when heater kicks on, it vents properly. where is the furnace vented? the venting table located in the furnace manual will tell you if the flue is oversized. typically a water heater with a standing pilot will maintain a positive flow up the flue if it is sized properly. flue liners are available, but need more info before i recommend one.

Old 10-22-02, 12:57 PM
sorry for the confusion:
I have two chimneys- one for fireplace and other for venting; both are same size and are on opposite ends of house. The vent chimney is uncapped.
keep in mind I live in MI, cold climate; this downdraft happens in winter time only. the super cold air flows down the chimney(you can feel the cold air with your hand close to the exhaust opening on top of heater. The draft is obvisouly not strong enough to blow out the pilot.
The HVAC is a High Effciency model that recirulates exhaust gas therefore it is vented to the side of the house with PVC ducts(intake/exhaust).
the original HVAC must have been sharing the chimney for venting so the flue is now considered oversized because of that fact.
How can I keep the cold air from coming down the chimney and breathing on top of my H20 heater.

Old 10-22-02, 02:05 PM
downdraft

Do you have any makeup air for the other fireplace??????????
Does it have a tight damper in it. Do you burn it a lot??????
I dont know how many call's I have been on for just this cold air down in the basement and it comes from the flue for the gas furnace and the hotwater heater.Most of the times its the fireplace that is doing it.Had one home that the water pipes froze
up on an inside wall in the home.They used the firplace all the time.The home was so tight that the fireplace for air pulled it back in from the drier vent pipe that was in an in side wall where the water pipes where and out from the drier. They had electricheat so no flue. ED

Old 10-23-02, 11:03 AM
flue

Do you have a drier in the home and where does it get its air? ED