question about heater vents

Old 10-21-02, 03:28 PM
saturnsangel
Visiting Guest
Cool question about heater vents

I've read the "read before you post" but there is no way I can give the heater type and stuff for this question, if nobody understands me, I understand.

We own this house and we have these big open vents in our hallway/living room, one half of the side is in the hallway, and the other half is in the living room. This heater was replaced LONG ago with central air. We don't know what this type of heater is all we know is that you can see the ground, dirt, and underneath the house from these vents and they let in A LOT of cold air in the winter. Can these be taken out ourselves, or should we hire a handyman type of person for this job??

Thankyou,
~Shari

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-02, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Big hole

Are you looking down in your crawl way?This new A/C you said about where is it getting its cold air return from in the home?Need more info. like where are your heat outlets now and where is your cold air return ED

Old 10-21-02, 05:18 PM
maybe floor furnace?

are you describing one large grate in the floor that is in both the hallway and living room? or 2? how big are they? remove the cover, and see if ductwork is attached to it. if so, seal all gaps, if not, i would block them off. is there gas or power going to these heaters? as ED said, give us a few more details.

Old 10-21-02, 05:35 PM
saturnsangel
Visiting Guest
more info...maybe??

This is what I do know, our "working" heater vents, are on our ceilings, but I'm pretty sure that this hole in my hallway and living room is a previous heater vent, but is serving us no purpose other then letting large amounts of cold air leak into the house.

here is a picture of the vent, I don't know if you can post pictures on this site, this is the first time I've been here...

http://dingo.care-mail.com/pictures/.../507367996.jpg

and yes I am describing one large grate, the picture is of one side, the other side is in the living room though. I would have to have some gas man come and see if there is gas or electricity running to these things, they've been here as long as we have, and never done anything or served any purpose, and we are having a baby and it is just going to cause too much problems now. My niece already throws her crayons and markers in there. We used to have it covered in duct tape, but our cats tear it off.

Oh and about our cold air return...possibly on the top of our house, I don't know, we only use the central heating, not the central air conditioning.

Thankyou for responding
~Shari

Old 10-21-02, 05:39 PM
ductwork in cieling

could not access pic, can you send it to [email protected]? sounds like abandoned floor furnace, i would block it off if it is.